Disrespectful American streamer who threatened to kill Japanese with atomic bombs faces 3 years in prison for trespassing

Originally published at: Disrespectful American streamer who threatened to kill Japanese with atomic bombs faces 3 years in prison for trespassing | Boing Boing

4 Likes

WTAF? People watch this sort of thing?

20 Likes

:white_check_mark: Fuck around.
:white_check_mark: Find out.

33 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

15 Likes

Although Japanese law provides for a maximum sentence of three years, it is very unlikely that he will get that. Prosecutors here use the threat of prison time to get people to take a plea deal for a fine and a suspended sentence. Japan just doesn’t have enough lawyers, prosecutors or judges to take this kind of thing to court.

15 Likes

Wow, he looks like somebody who, growing up in the United States, never, ever experienced any racial prejudice.

/s

7 Likes

I’d hate to be the State Department person who has to provide consular assistance. It’s really depressing to be in a place where it would really be best if you just didn’t do your job; but it’s still your job to do it.

15 Likes

He might get prison time, since he has caught the attention of the Chief Cabinet Secretary of Japan, who issued a statement about nuisance streamers.

17 Likes

I can’t imagine there’s all that much they’d do for him. It’s not like they’re going to “zealously defend” him like a US criminal defense attorney would. The services they provide are pretty limited, and are mainly limited to making sure he doesn’t disappear:

11 Likes

This is what happens when we monetize assholery. I hope more of these bottom-of-the-barrel “influencers” face similar fates. That asshole who got gut shot pulling his bullying prank didn’t evolve one bit. He’s bound to get shot again.

31 Likes

Whatever he experienced in the US, he did obviously did not realize that racism isn’t considered a problem in Japan and, unlike in the US court system, you can’t assert racism as part of a defense. In the US you can get a conviction overturned based on racially biased selection of the jury (another similar case), for example. In Japan… nothing like that exists.

Conviction rates in Japanese criminal cases are like 99% IIRC. Don’t get arrested in Japan Japanese prisons do not tolerate any kind of disobedience or rebelliousness. They don’t even let their prisoners exercise.

8 Likes

“The suspect is quoted as saying he will remain silent until his lawyer arrives.”

Or until this thuggish little narcissist can get a wifi connection.

11 Likes

It’s possible, but it would be a case of either the prosecutors or Ismael being very disinclined to make any kind of deal. The way the Japanese justice system works, it would be really foolish of Ismael not to take a deal. He will have a choice between a slap on the wrist or hard time. The trial itself would probably take longer than the sentence. At the same time, this is neither a violent crime nor a drug crime, so I don’t imagine prosecutors wanting to dedicate too many resources to it.

The Japanese justice system can be absolutely brutal, but for petty crimes, the whole thing runs on guilty pleas for lenient sentences. Japan, a country of 126 million people, has only 42,000 lawyers (which includes prosecutors), so it kind of has to be that way.

Source: Japanese Bar Association Data (Japanese only, but you can look at the table with years and numbers. The percentage on the right is the number of women in the legal profession.)

14 Likes

100% this

15 Likes

Why has no one said Christ what an asshole? Seems to me just his face could appear beside the definition of asshole after his despicable and repugnant behavior. If this isn’t assholery what is it?

10 Likes

Anything to stand out online :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing reports about this guy for months now. I’m suprised it’s taken this long for him to do something that got him arrested.

5 Likes

The lesson is don´t go to other countries and be an entitled, disrespectfull little shit.
I saw a video about this guy, they REALLY hate him in Japan and he was allready visited by some fellows that were allegedly yakuza, who told him to cut the crap and apologize. If he goes to prison, they will eat him up.

13 Likes

@frauenfelder A quick glance seems to indicate that X/Twitter account is extremely problematic and largely exists to highlight ways that people of Asian descent have been wronged by people of African descent (including the “affirmative action” boogeyman). So maybe not a great source for objective or accurate information.

12 Likes

peyton manning wtf GIF by Gatorade

Is it lack of interest, or difficulty with the certification?

3 Likes