Disrespectful American streamer who threatened to kill Japanese with atomic bombs faces 3 years in prison for trespassing

They don’t monetize the legal system like in US.

3 Likes

“Call the embassy!” And here is where you find out that your “Constitutional Rights” didn’t cross the Pacific with you. You will get a visit from a pleasant guy from the American consulate whose job is to make sure your treatment in in accordance with local laws and treaties between the USA and the country that arrested you.

That’s ALL you get.

11 Likes

In Mexico, he could plead guilty, sentenced to time served, and be deported immediately. Does Japan do this?

only four? My god, man, we must do something.

6 Likes

Yeah… in Japan you don’t have a right to have a lawyer present when speaking to police, even after being arrested.

3 Likes

And if the GOP Supermajority on SCOTUS has their way, Miranda will be a thing of the past as soon as they get the test case…

3 Likes

The news referred to him as a “nuisance broadcaster”. I love that term. It can be applied in multiple circumstances and sounds so much more accurate than “influencer” or “Fox News anchor”.

9 Likes

… I thought Japan was part of the “free world” :thinking:

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

It’s the latter. The Japanese bar exam is infamously difficult. For decades, the pass rate was less than 1%. They recently introduced reforms with the aim of getting the pass rate up to 1/3, but it’s still really low. People study law as undergrads, and it prepares them for a lot of other careers, so law students don’t necessarily go on to be lawyers.

6 Likes

Immigration and criminal justice are handled separately, but it is likely that his visa (landing permission for visa free travelers) would be revoked when immigration learned about it.

4 Likes

Wow he’s going to be told explicitly what’s wrong with his stuff. You don’t get that from YouTube notes.

It’s okay as long as you don’t get suspected of breaking the law. It’s pretty brutal if you do. They did introduce jury trials a few years ago, which was a step forward.

This guy will probably get a token sentence and then deported with his file marked NO RE-ENTRY to Japan.

That surprised me. In Spain, which is considered to have an unreasonably high number of lawyers we have 3 laywers per 1000 inhabitants. We are way above the median in EU, which is about one third of that.

(in contrast, we have an unreasonably lower number of judges, but that would be theme for a completely different topic)

1 Like

Is it? Jury trials seem uncivilised to me

Certainly there are plenty of countries which don’t have jury trials, and we don’t generally consider them uncivilised, but we don’t consider the UK, Japan and New Zealand uncivilised either, which are countries which do have jury trials.

A fresh warrant for past behavior…

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/us-livestreamer-served-new-arrest-warrant-for-hindering-business-at-osaka-eatery/ar-AA1i8COr

4 Likes

It’s worth noting that the jury system that was introduced in Japan is very different from what exists in other countries. Juries comprise six randomly selected laypeople and three judges, and a guilty verdict requires a simple majority with at least one judge voting guilty. Also, juries in Japan only convene for serious crimes. Also, jurors can directly question the accused as well as witnesses.

4 Likes

This is a favorite trick of Japanese police and prosecutors. By law, they can only detain someone for 23 days after arrest. After 23 days, they either have to file formal charges or release the suspect. So what do they do if they want more time for the “interrogation?” They re-arrest the suspect for something else at the 23 day mark. With multiple charges, they can arrest you again and again for one crime at a time to hold someone indefinitely.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.