Japanese robot dog sniffs your feet and faints if they're smelly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/11/japanese-robot-dog-sniffs-your.html

For $9,280, this thing should by rights be available without wires coming out of its butt.

9 Likes

Whoever said “necessity is the mother of invention” was off the mark by a bit.

10 Likes

¥100,000 ($9,280)

One of those numbers is off by an order of magnitude; current conversion rate is 1 USD = 109 yen.

Course, even if it only costs $917, that’s still ludicrous.

6 Likes

I was watching a show just the other day in which the Japanese student is observing her Western hosts, and writes, “these Westerners wear their shoes indoors, so their feet always stink.”

Also, I think hana is “flower,” but there could be homophones.

4 Likes

I’ve lived in Canada my entire life and have never been to a home where shoes aren’t taken off in the porch. I never understood all the media thinking it strange that Japan does so until I found out that people wear their shoes indoors in the US?

Is that a thing?

4 Likes

I wonder if theirs is broken. Mine sounds like this:

Yep. Here in California, people rarely take off shoes indoors– growing up I always found it odd if I had to remove them. I think it is more common to take them off in the places with bad weather like the mid-west. Alas, my wife is Canadian and she has converted me, a Californian, to taking them off indoors. It just makes more sense.

7 Likes

I read the top post during my first cup of coffee and wondered if there had been a massive shift in the currency markets overnight. Still at 109.33 so yeah…

Rest assured, Japanese people’s feet don’t smell all that wonderful even with the practice of shoe removal at every opportunity.

“Hana” could be nose 鼻 or flower 花, two different kanji vocalized the same way…

5 Likes

That depends on what is necessary and for who.

1 Like

It’s a robot with butt tentacles… I think that’s a THING in Japan, so you’re probably paying extra for them…

A lot of homeowners in my part of the states (intermountain west) ask that people remove shoes just because they care about dirt, etc., being tracked onto their nice floors.

2 Likes

OTOH, when I was growing up, we had a coal furnace that threw smuts everywhere. We kept shoes on during the winter to save our socks, unless they had gotten muddy.

Or perhaps you are comparing what amounts to a basically imaginary product that isn’t going to sell with actual products that do sell.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.