Japan's flowing noodle restaurant closes after mass food poisoning

Originally published at: Japan's flowing noodle restaurant closes after mass food poisoning | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Even though it wasn’t at fault in this case, at no point does a shared food trough sound like a good idea to me.

10 Likes

I mean,
Hungry Bass Pro Shop GIF by John Crist Comedy

3 Likes

Noodles flowing down a stream of slightly chlorinated spring water doesn’t quite have the same whimsy around it

2 Likes

Slightly ironic that one of the known causes of gastrointestinal disease from spring waters in North America is Canadian beavers (Giardiasis - Wikipedia).

2 Likes

This restaurant’s setup is a recipe (ha!) for the transmission of food-borne illnesses. Its setup should never have been allowed and these infections could have been prevented.

1 Like

Ahh, campylobacter. Campylobacter jejuni is one of the most common causes of food poisoning, from eating chicken. Another common one, particularly in my region, is bacillus cereus. Most commonly from rice that was allowed to cool too slowly or stand at room temperature - the toxin it can produce is heat stable and may not be killed in subsequent reheating. My SE Asian friends were extremely miffed when they learned chicken rice apparently was akin to a plague bearer. Didn’t change their eating habits tho.

3 Likes

The manual for my Japanese rice cooker advises not to use the “keep warm” setting for more than 12 hours. Don’t worry, I won’t!

2 Likes

It’s a setup.

Good luck to all people who want to drink their raw water from a “pure spring” without periodic testing for bio or chemical contamination.

Campylobacter is usually found in raw poultry. Perhaps a bird died somewhere up the pipeline. Having suffered from the little to the point of losing 10kg in 5 days, I sympathise with the 900 wholeheartedly.

I regularly keep mine warm for 4-5 hours though before putting the remaining gohan in the freezer.

One frustration I have with global social media is that you get advice as if it applies exactly the same all around the world - take eggs for example, leaving eggs on the bench and not in the refrigerator is perfectly acceptable in many parts of the world but not a good idea in the US. Yet that distinction is often not made when talking about how to store eggs in other countries.
Same with rice, Japanese rice is almost entirely consumed domestically and the risk of keeping it warm for a few hours is not the same as rice grown in other markets.

1 Like

failed to check the water quality “due to damage caused by heavy rains in mid-July,” which doesn’t make a lot of sense

Given the source, is this a not-do-good translation?

Anyway, clearly it means to say that the water quality changed due to heavy rains…

They mean flooding.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.