Jason Aldean's "Try That in a Small Town" video shows footage from riots in other countries and his fans are sending threats to the Tik Toker who found the real sources

They don’t take it out on their phoney heroes. They take it out on the people who expose them.

13 Likes

Reminds me of W/ Bob & David: Banes and Dunfrey "All I Need" Music Video (HD) Bob Odenkirk - YouTube

1 Like

Jessica Fletcher was behind it all; she was a serial killer who framed others for her crimes. Brilliant, really.

8 Likes

Somehow, he looks like the kind of “Cowboy” who got his first cowboy hat along with a cap gun with plastic holster, belt and a stamped tin badge when he was about 8 years old. Got his second one when his manager bought it for him and said it might help his image as a country. Somehow when I hear small town America, I think of a place with 5000 or less population. 50,000+ just isn’t small town. He just a yodeling nazi crying for money to send to trump… phonies like other phonies.

7 Likes

22 Likes

Isn’t the metric of per-capita violence only half of the information that would be needed to understand apparent safety? I feel like you’d need to factor in population density into that as well. While violent crime per person may be higher in rural areas I am also less likely to see nearly as many people as I do in a major city or urban area.

If the number of people I see is 10, 20, or even 100 times higher in that urban environment then it makes sense that people would feel more uneasy about their surroundings. My father told me that the thing in this world to cause you the most pain and suffering is other people. Sometimes “you” are the “other person”.

No, that’s not how it works.

If you are living in a place where 10 out of every 100,000 people will be murdered then you’re statistically more likely to meet a violent end than if you are living in a place where 5 out of every 100,000 people will be murdered.

“Small towns are full of good-hearted people who will look after you and big cities are full of murderous thugs who will likely kill you” is a useful stereotype for right-wingers but it does not reflect reality.

18 Likes

Not really. Isolation can be as conducive to violent crime as proximity.

9 Likes

Isolation also means less access to whatever protections society can provide. A person in a violent living situation has fewer places to flee to and fewer people to ask for help.

12 Likes

This one made me laugh; hope it makes him squirm.

362904347_10160055047183191_4984392569162299659_n_medium

17 Likes

I just listened to the Behind the Bastards on the Khmer Rouge (more specifically Norodom Sihanouk) which highlighted the repeated authoritarian strategy of consolidating political power by demonizing urban populations (and thus, competing political elites / operatives) in the eyes of rural populations. It’s insane how much of that effort is borne in the American context simply through commercial avenues.

8 Likes

That’s capitalism for ya!

4 Likes

See also the “Real Americans” language frequently invoked by Sarah Palin when she ran for office alongside John McCain. The obvious implication being that people who lived in big, largely-progressive cities were somehow less real, or at least less American, than her rural base.

12 Likes

I am curious to check out some of his movies though.

3 Likes

Trends are cyclical. The minimalist style dominated for a while and some people who can afford it are pushing back to maximalist.

Of course, maximalist molding isn’t remotely limited to the US nor is that example even close to the past maximalism elsewhere… stares in European.

2 Likes

10 Likes

His song went to #1 and you have to wonder if he intended the controversy in order to make money. It seems John Meelencamp made a song about small towns that didn’t have undertones of violence, a them v. us theme or white supremacy

13 Likes

It’s not JUST that the “Try that in a small town” video was shot at the site of a lynching, but that it was a COURTHOUSE, and that in 1927, that was just accepted. Reminiscing about “the good old days”, when a lynching condoned by the city authorities was just understood to be part of daily life, is the subtext of the song and the video.

4 Likes

Well, only when there was a certain person present… whenever she went on vacation, there was a murder wherever she went, and not in Cabot Cove…

5 Likes

That’s why you won’t catch me anywhere near Midsomer:

At least they never had any morally troubling issues aside from the body count… Ah. Oh dear:

Controversy[edit]

In March 2011, the series’ producer, Brian True-May, was suspended by All3Media after telling the TV listings magazine Radio Times that the programme did not have any non-white characters because the series was “the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way”. When challenged about the term “Englishness” and whether that would exclude ethnic minorities, True-May responded: “Well, it should do, and maybe I’m not politically correct.” He later went on to say that he wanted to make a programme “that appeals to a certain audience, which seems to succeed.” True-May’s comments were investigated by the production company.[32] He was reinstated, having apologised “if his remarks gave unintended offence to any viewers”, but subsequently stepped down as producer. ITV said it was “shocked and appalled” at True-May’s comments, which were “absolutely not shared by anyone at ITV”.[33][34]

True-May’s replacement, Jo Wright, confirmed that she was committed to on-screen diversity when she took over the helm of the show, saying: “I feel strongly that a range of ethnic groups should be represented on screen. And that will be reflected in some of the episodes in the new series with key guest casting. I will cast the series in the same way as I always do, by starting with the best script. And a good script will include a variety of different characters.”[35] In series 15, Asian actors played central characters in the show for the first time, in the episode “Written in the Stars”.[36] Black characters also began to appear starting in that series. Beginning with series 18, the show gained an Asian member for its main cast: pathologist Kam Karimore, played by Manjinder Virk.[37] She left the show at the end of series 19.

5 Likes