Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt turns 26 this month

Originally published at: Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt turns 26 this month | Boing Boing

2 Likes

when the lead single dropped in advance of the album I was hype. the A side was Dead Presidents so I was looking forward to the release of the album since it sounded a lot like Mobb Deep and the rapping was excellent. but the B side was only ok, a he-said-she-said sex rhyme with singing and a recycled EPMD beat which was obviously pandering to club and radio play. and so went the album: schizophrenic, trying to have a foot in both worlds. for every “Brooklyn’s Finest” or “22 Twos,” there was some forgettable track (albeit with excellent rhymes) that felt like pandering to make money. can’t knock the hustle, but I just couldn’t feel half the album. his subsequent albums seemed even more commercial. it wasn’t until I seriously sessioned The Blueprint (only because I got a free copy) that I feel like Jay turned a corner and developed a fully integrated style of production that was still commercial but actually good, imo.

I get the feeling I’m going to have to @dnealy again if I want anyone to lay eyes on this comment lol.

1 Like

1 Like

Nah, I’m pretty sure I got it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m starting to feel like there’s very little love for hip hop on these boards. Lol

And I couldn’t agree more about Jay-Z. Ive only come to appreciate his work in hindsight. During his prime, I couldn’t care less about his discography at large, barring a few tracks.

I became a Jigga fan around the Black Album era. I don’t know of it was because my tastes matured or if his body of work did, but Jay-Z post Black Album was a murder machine.

1 Like

black album was sick. but blueprint was where I noticed he turned the corner. weirdly, I really liked “Snoopy Track” despite featuring Juvenile (whom I generally dislike) and being on a pre-Blueprint, forgettable album. but it’s all due to it being a Timbaland track.

1 Like

Snoopy Track is STILL one of my favorites ever.

It goes stupid HARD.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.