Jaywalker glares at driver, walks into pole

Still waiting for a conversation about anarco-pedestrians and bicyclists going anywhere they want on the road when self driving cars are programmed to stop when there is an obstacle in the way. Come on boingboing, let’s talk.

1 Like

Jaywalking is generally illegal, but what constitutes jaywalking varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In some places being a certain distance from a crosswalk, others just require the street to be clear when you enter. Some require strict adherence to crosswalks. What we do know is that the pedestrian was already mid-crossing when the driver turned on to a street that would have otherwise had a red light for oncoming traffic and that the audio is cut until after. Keeping eye contact with a driver is a good safety idea, because you have a chance to react if they “forget” you are there. There’s also the very real possibility that the driver was already laying on the horn or screaming and that is why the pedestrian is staring.

4 Likes

There aren’t jaywalking laws in the UK and they seem to get along just fine without having them.

4 Likes

Hamilton, Ontario, whose population believes that they live in the “Waterfall Capital of Canada.” Look it up, I dare you.

It’s too bad they both didnt run into the pole

Except in Northern Ireland. Also, the Road Traffic Act of 1984 does grant UK authorities the right to “prohibit pedestrian traffic” in certain areas and that “A person who contravenes any regulations made under this section shall be guilty of an offence.” I don’t know how often this is put into effect; I do know Ken Livingstone wanted to implement it throughout London.

(I moved to England just after this was passed, and it was a topic of conversation in the lunchroom.)

Are all those officials descendents of Charles Darwin by chance? This apple bonker challenging a moving car is ripe for the picking.

I’ve seen the statistic that stopping and starting a bicycle uses as much energy as riding an extra 100m. Which is why Dutch pedestrians (who are almost all also cyclists) will try to avoid making cyclists stop for them.

4 Likes

on the one hand, at intersections motor vehicles may be traveling more slowly

but on the other hand, their behavior is much less predictable there

they could speed up, slow down, turn, cross other people’s lanes, anything could happen

in the middle of a block at least they’re traveling at fixed speeds and in straight lines

3 Likes

In Italy is forbidden in motorways, even scooters under 150cc are forbidden.
Some other road have the forbidden to walkers sign, cyclist and scooters mus stay in the rightmost lane, if there’s a service road cyclist and pedestrians must use them and cross the road on zebra crossings.

Then maybe it’s possible for a pedestrian walk in a roundabout in a straight line but highly not advisable.

1 Like

Fun fact, that was the same driver in the second video, losing control of his car on a busy highway! The wheels of justice grind slow, but they grind eventually… or something :wink:

jk of course

Also, can’t believe no-one has commented simply “Rise of the Jaywalker”.

1 Like

Very true, I think it depends on what roads are being intersected and the time of day. There’s an intersection near my workplace that’s a very difficult cross. Near-constant swift movement. Those are two “avenues,” whereas my daily commute involves crossing avenues at “streets,” which are more tame. Four avenues altogether, plus a “boulevard” (aka deathtrap).

The concept, and particularly the ‘crime,’ of jaywalking is a bullshit construction foisted upon us by the automotive industry. You don’t have more right to the road just because you’re drive a big, stupid, dangerous machine that’s killing the planet.

6 Likes

In most jurisdictions, yes. You might want to find out whether or not you’ve been breaking the law and endangering pedestrians in your jurisdiction.

2 Likes

It is not illegal to jaywalk in Ontario. You can do it if it is safe. The only caveat is if you get into an accident you will have a hard time defending yourself.

Basically, pedestrians don’t always have right of way outside of crosswalks, but motorists still better yield to jaywalkers because of course they should.

Also, I got the impression that the driver was laying on his horn the whole time he was stopped in front of that guy, they just muted the audio in the video. That sure would explain why the pedestrian was so fixated on the car.

com-add-text%20(1)

2 Likes

I’m sorry my motor vehicle was built on such terrible perfidy. I feel ashamed to use something motorized to get to work every day. I will whip myself accordingly.

Really though - dramatic much?

1 Like

His situational awareness could have been better. At least he had his eye on the biggest threat.

The driver was a dick after the pedestrian put himself in danger by not slowing when a car was approaching him, then slow-walked in front of the driver as “punishment.” The pedestrian was a dick because he assumed the driver saw him, which is not necessarily true. My car has airbags in the A Pillars, which makes them quite thick, and thus can hide pedestrians, bicyclists, and entire moving vehicles if the angles are right. The driver may well have not seen the pedestrian until he began braking, when the pedestrian was in my opinion foolishly approaching the car with what seems to me obvious entitlement and anger.