Jean-Claude Van Damme does the splits. Between moving trucks

I thought the first was great (I went through a similar martial arts phase). Are the others worth checking out at all?

Iā€™ll try and track them down (here in the UK, before LoveFilm was bought out by sodding Amazon and blew their entire sodding budget on Dumbo + co, they curated an eclectic mix of cheaply licensed films from all over - I can picture the roving John Cusack / Rob Gordon characters taking paid trips out East) -

But Thailand, Korea (not the Norks), Indonesia, Philippines so far. Sri Lanka and India have a bunch too, but I find them a bit dripping in hero worship; whereas the more SE Asian versions emphasise tough simple heroics.

They have incredibly talented martial artists, make the California Crew look a little silly (though JCVD would doubtlessly dominate). Theyā€™ve synthesised everything they grew up on - Bruce, Jackie, all the Hong Kong bunch, the lot, into a really on-screen effective form of dopamine.

So you guys know the scene Iā€™m talking about??

Edit: Merantau Warrior, see http://mubi.com/lists/indonesian-martial-arts-cinema and Iā€™m guessing it has other countries too

1 Like

No, I havenā€™t seen it yet, but I will now that youā€™ve recommended it.

I used to be a dancer, and have studied karate and kick-boxing. For me, the choreography in good martial arts films is a treat. I use the word ā€œchoreographyā€ for a reason!

Yep - but the SE Asian up and coming industries competing with HK and the over-invested Chinese stuff knew that they had to bring another aspect - they get down and dirty but with utter skill - Tony Jaa is one of the most accomplished Iā€™ve ever, ever seen!

1 Like

Who here has seen JCVD?

Funny film. Good to see him not taking himself seriously.

Also, Street Fighter is still a guilty pleasure of mine. Guy got to have an affair with Kylie Minogue. Jealous!

2 Likes

Yep. I loved it. Street Fighter ā€¦

Sorry to be a buzzkill, butā€¦

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/20/photo-analysis-accuses-some-photogs-of-faking-cute-animal-images-in-cruel-ways/

2 Likes

The truck that turns and straightens again isnā€™t articulated, which makes it a bit easier. Not to dismiss their skill at all, I couldnā€™t do that with a toy truck.

1 Like

ā€œOng Bakā€, ā€œOng Bak Againā€ andā€¦

Damn heā€™s flexible.

Is that the one with the one-take restaurant battle; where he works his way up floor after floor of mooks. That was amazing.

Yep! It was pretty cool.

People suckā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re thinking of Tom Yum Goong (aka ā€œThe Protectorā€), which isnā€™t an Ong Bak movie, but was made between Ong Bak 1 & 2. The whole restaurant battle done in one long continuous take, no cuts. Crazy impressive, and they used that technique again for future action films like Chocolate.

3 Likes

Yep, youā€™re right there. Its the one released in the UK as ā€œWarrior Kingā€. Poor elephants :frowning:

1 Like

I am totally gay for Tony Jaa.

1 Like

I think they drove forward, slowly coming together. Far easier for the drivers and JCVD.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.