Jeep willing to keep talking with Cherokee Nation about not using their name

OMG they went there

2 Likes

Well apparently the Jeep slogan is:
"Go Anywhere. Do Anything."
So it is on brand.

Yes; I remember that when they still lived in Georgia, frequently the Cherokee would look the other way or discreetly assist escaped slaves cutting across Cherokee lands.

3 Likes

They still do! They’re officially referred to as the Eastern Band Cherokee Nation and they hold most of the ancestral records and archives.

Writer and actor Sarah Vowell (The Incredibles’ Violet) is from Oklahoma and of Cherokee descent. She took a pilgrimage with her sister to Georgia to explore her roots. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I should have remembered that; there are a lot of Cherokee potters in the Carolinas and Georgia. Bigmeat is one of the notable families that makes traditional lowfired pots.

2 Likes

Are they from that village that’s famous for pottery in… South Carolina, maybe?

1 Like

https://www.wcu.edu/library/digitalcollections/cherokeetraditions/people/potters_bigmeatfamily.html
I don’t believe they were from any one location, and they aren’t the only family carrying on the pottery traditions.

2 Likes

“Our vehicle names have been carefully chosen and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess and pride[.] We are, more than ever, committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr.”

Hoskin buying time to assess who he needs to shmeer? Could he be that stupid?

From 2002 to 2012, the Jeep Cherokee was called the Liberty in North America. It would seem pretty easy to just go back to that. Then you just need to come up with a new name for the Grand Cherokee. Grand Liberty? Lazy but works, sort of.

4 Likes

freedom jeep? :wink: ( comes with a lifetime supply of freedom fries for thrilling adventures such as waiting in bumper-to-bumper traffic during the daily commute, or navigating the rugged streets of a typical middle class suburban neighborhood. )

1 Like

Wouldn’t that mean they should rename it to “Jeep FBI Agent” then?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.