Jessica Tarlov's calm approach pierces Fox News' partisan bubble

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/22/jessica-tarlovs-calm-approach-pierces-fox-news-partisan-bubble.html

6 Likes

Can we fuckin’ not. There is no inevitable outcome here. And it’s not even remotely helpful to assume that there is.

We can still fight for our democracy and WIN, but not if people act like the fascist have already won.

31 Likes

With Fox, I tend to think that the only way to win, is not to play. Show me that there’s a lasting impact on Fox viewers by the occasional guest that skewers them.

10 Likes

Yes, we know that you write most of your posts with a defeatist bent; it’s tedious engagement bait.

:woman_facepalming:t4:

Devin Nealy may have posted too many youtube vids as his main content, but at least he wasn’t “sprinting towards the apocalypse with gleeful abandon.”

23 Likes

Nope. Not watching Faux News, no “calm liberal” cannon fodder is going to draw me into that vile hive of scum and villainy. Any thought of peeling away anyone still engaged there is ridiculously optimistic, and the idea that our democracy will fall to this clown show is not at all in evidence. If it were, they would not be working so hard to stop us from voting. That democracy terrifies them so means it is still working. Not that this is a guarantee for the future, that is up to us. But for now, it stands.

25 Likes

Indeed; there is something incredibly foul about actively encouraging the readers here to watch known fascist propaganda on the slight chance that there might be a sole voice of reason howling into that insane void.

18 Likes

But… but, how will we know our enemy if we don’t watch!!! /s

:roll_eyes:

14 Likes

I know my enemies and their enablers pretty well; heaven help me if I ever have to rely on paid muckrakers to make the distinction.

18 Likes

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

and watching their propaganda networks doesn’t give you a full picture, because they lie so very much.

12 Likes

So we’re linking so Apple News paid subscription content now instead of the internet?

It only serves to increase the fascists’ audience and expose the viewer to ceaseless toxicity.

Shame on “Loy Luadha” for even passively suggesting it.

10 Likes

Mmmm brutal Ben Mathis-Lilley; there’s no real need to bring her looks or background into it with this kind of backhanded compliment. Folks need to stop eating their own.

If facts don’t matter, then I’m not sure how appearing rational would matter. Doesn’t being rational imply that you are basing your views on facts rather than just emotion?

10 Likes

Shit. What an unfortunate take.

Supporting FoxNews doesn’t make you a brilliant centrist who’s winning them over. It makes you a collaborator who’s been co-opted.

15 Likes

I really think we need to ditch this false dichotomy, honestly. One can be emotionally invested in things that are true. Facts and emotions aren’t at odds, facts and lies are. Plenty of fascists couch their false rhetoric in the language of “rationality”… just see people like Ben Shapiro throw around terms like “facts don’t care about your feelings”… :woman_shrugging: Is he right, because he’s claiming “non-emotional” ground. Honestly, it comes out of a bit of misogynistic framing, in that men are understood as “logical and rational” and women are “intuitive and emotional”… :woman_shrugging:

Sometimes we SHOULD be emotional and angry… As Anasai said…

angry season 1 GIF by American Gods

14 Likes

Well, the article in the LA Times does say:

The audience for “The Five” has grown 21% over last year, when she joined as a co-host

which is probably made up of mostly established-Fox viewers, not new liberal or independent viewers. Tarlov might be getting something across to them.

4 Likes

Oh but how will we know how above it all the cynics are!?

If a person called every other day saying “kill yourself” I would block their number. But make it a headline and I guess it’s “engagement”

8 Likes

Hopefully. It’s just that I’ve seen so many gotcha moments barely make a ripple, and they keep contra-factual hosts until they cost them a wholotta money, or a long sexual assault problem finally comes out.

4 Likes

I agree - that’s what I was trying to indicate with the facts rather than “just” emotions (I.e. emotions devoid of facts). Of course many people who claim to be dealing in cold unemotional facts aren’t even doing that.

If the facts don’t make one emotional, one should probably see a psychiatrist.

3 Likes

… except to put all those regulations back that Reagan got rid of, which is impossible because reasons :thinking:

8 Likes

What, inferred a comparison between highly paid White pundits who work for Fox “News” of their own free will to house slaves on a plantation?

Yeah, that wasn’t a bullshit false equiv, or anything…

13 Likes