JetBrains Mono is a free, open source monospace font

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/jetbrains-mono-is-a-free-open.html

5 Likes

I like JetBrains, they make some of the best IDE’s out there.

3 Likes

I’m generally pretty happy with Lucida Console

3 Likes

Personally I’m a fan of Envy font. Has a special version for utilizing italics instead of bold to differentiate a little bit easier in some cases.

Though now I have yet another font to take for a spin…

2 Likes

I use Hack, but will give JetBrain Mono a look

https://sourcefoundry.org/hack/

2 Likes

I’ve always been partial to Terminus, which is also Free Software

2 Likes

my first impressions on mac is that the jetbrains font looks small and grainy compared to source code pro

it turns out mac and sublime alters small monospace fonts, and you have to turn off “font rounding” to make it look better.

“font_options”: [ “no_round” ]

but it still looks shorter and more pixelated to me than i think it should. maybe i’ll give it a day or two and see what i think when i switch back

[ edit: and disable ligatures w/ “no_calt”. ligatures. ick. ]

ezgif.com-add-text

2 Likes

OK, switched over to Jetbrains Mono for a bit. I’m not digging the conversion of my != (evaluates as “not equal”) to an interpreted depiction. I do want to see what I typed. Reverted to Hack, for now.

JetBrains:

Hack:

3 Likes

Seems very similar to Fira Code. I guess a little bit taller lower case letters? But Fira already had pretty tall lower case.

It has fucked around with the == too. No thanks!

1 Like

if you’re using sublime, see my post above. the ligature ( symbol combination ) is an optional part of open type font format and at least some editors will let you turn that aspect off

1 Like

True for the JetBrains IDEs:

(Damn right I keep that turned off)

2 Likes

font designed especially for coders and developers.

No. It’s designed for losers that are stuck in the dark green-screen character generator past. Programming consists substantially of reading and reading is aided by decent fonts and proper typography. Like that dangerous idea of proportionally spaced fonts.

I like JetBrains too. ReSharper is my jam.

As for my coding font of choice? I’m a big fan of Bitstream Vera Sans Mono but I might have to check this one out.

In case you’re looking for a more comic version of this sort of thing, there’s this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.