Jeweler forges the one ring to rule them all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/31/jeweler-forges-the-one-ring-to-rule-them-all.html

1 Like

WTF it’s not like you can’t find the actual text in olde dark elvish in more than a few clicks. Do you even LOTR, bro?

21 Likes

8 Likes

False alarm. Wake me when someone makes one in a volcano.

8 Likes

“Klaatu… verata… n… Necktie”

14 Likes

I would have filled the letters with cloisonné uranium glass. That would be hard wearing, less visible in normal light, and glow yellow-green under UV. But it is nice. Wantss the semi-preciousss.

7 Likes

He’s like those bros who get a tattoo with Asian calligraphy that looks cool but means something really inane.

8 Likes

I’ve seen one I think is a lot neater than this. Looked like an ordinary ring. Throw it in flames and the text would appear. Unfortunately, it wasn’t cool taking it out of the flames.

5 Likes

When you find that one lone onion ring mixed in with your fries…

9 Likes

5 Likes

You might want to rethink that sentiment.

3 Likes

The One Ring has inscriptions on the outside and inside. As presently constituted, it is powerless.

1 Like

You beat me to it!

Also, the inscription should be invisible until heated.

1 Like

As a designer more than a LOTR fan it’s mildly annoying anyone would go to all that trouble ‘replicating’ something and leave out such a significant physical feature as the extra soft edges (not sharp ones) shown clearly dozens of times in the moviefilm. Two hobbit boners out of five.

1 Like

Good grief! There is more than ONE One Ring?!?

Happy New Year 2021 to all.

James

4 Likes

The music
ftlog!!
Ohhhh Wax carving
Ahhhh Spruing
Whoooa Investing
Only to get a 10mm gold ring blank that he could have bought ready made from Hoover & Strong.

I’d like to thank him for turning me on to the vice mounted expansion ring vice, but it didn’t require an orchestra.

1 Like

Forgings are forged (plasticly deformed between two surfaces at heat); castings are cast (poured as a liquid into a cavity and then solidified).

3 Likes

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne."

2 Likes

Maybe he was worried about copyright or some such? Didnt watch the video so I dont know.

2 Likes

You could be right, but then why mention LOTR at all? If you’re gonna go, go all out.

1 Like