Jim Carrey "explains" his trippy, metaphysical interview from New York Fashion Week

Jim’s not being that original…this phenomenon was better explained by Peter Sellers on the Muppet Show in 1978:

15 Likes

Popo, is that you/me/us?

3 Likes

We mostly see comedians and artists in controlled and rehearsed situations, and rarely do we see them exposing their process and failures.

Why not mix it up a bit? Why not ramble about existential daydreams at a meaningless fashion show? Why not have a few cocktails beforehand? He has the financial stability to delve into these things, and not have to worry about being marketable or making a hit, I say good for him.

6 Likes

Malkovich Malkovich?

1 Like

All good points. And “vapid on another level” could be a description of Los Angeles in general as far as I’m concerned. But I don’t see any hypocracy in criticizing an event that he’s attending. And in my experience “barely holding it together” is almost the definition of good performance art, or at least a necessary component of it. Good stand up comedy in a comedy club for example almost always has that quality to it.

3 Likes

I think that was his point though–Fashion Week is (in his mind, at least) the height of vapidity. He’s pulling an intellectual prank at an event/with people who haven’t substance to begin with.

3 Likes

Ayahuasca ceremonies are increasingly popular, yes.

2 Likes

This armchair psychologist saw a man struggling with the grief and guilt of his girlfriend’s suicide.

3 Likes

Obligatory:

2 Likes

Lol It’s beautiful though how in the second clip the Australian morning news host/commentators/whatever have absolutely nothing meaningful to add to this other than bored, not-even-clever spite and quibs:
‘Oh yeah, yeah, Truman Show’, ‘He was levitating when he said that (that nutso)’, ‘He and Taylor Swift are both dead. HAha.’, ‘Okay then, another minute of everyone’s time wasted, on to the next meaningless non-issue on our amusing rollercoaster ride into ceasing to exist.’

Fork man, I hate that kind of TV.

Edit: And Not-Jim Carrey’s suit at Not-‘Fashion Week’ is pretty baller. So there’s that.

2 Likes
1 Like

Here’s a man in obvious torment and pain. Let’s mock, scorn and ridicule. Yeah.

2 Likes

I can’t find a giant shiny prize that is big enough, so please accept my big thanks and this large bright shiny galaxy, which is barely adequate:

The fact that the magazine publishes about Jim Carrey not being anybody in particular because he is Jim Carrey suggests that the publishers have no understanding of the substance of the interview.

1 Like

DMT, I believe.

It’s okay, that’s a good one.

2 Likes

Classically, people recognised that the best comedians (jesters) were/are phenomenally intelligent, highly observant, and can identify how humans work.

It’s a lonely place.

Many struggle with this, as the pap and nonsense we’re all fed to comfort us is absolutely inadequate to overcome their ability and emotional rollercoaster response to seeing the worst, and best, of people, at an early age.

If he’s describing tetrahedrons, it’s incumbent on us to absorb of that what we can, and without endangering our own wellbeing, try and gather meaning from a genius observer.

He is a genius. Does anyone doubt that? His performance in The Mask was inimitable, unexpected, and revolutionary.

If he wants to define the universe as composed by hamsters, I’ll happily listen. There’s much more to learn by empathising with him.

3 Likes

Besides which, I don’t think he looks spaced at all. I think he’s just mocking the event and using his celebrity to drive a kind of ‘be more authentic’ idea through to the viewers.

A lot of top performing comedians suffer from all kinds of manias and depression. They’re also driven by craving other people’s attention or acceptance. Having seen documentaries on comedians that have passed away it seems to be a common thread that they suffer a lot with their mental health.

Its possible Carrey was just being weird for weird’s sake, i don’t mind that at all but i hope he’s doing alright on a personal level.

Are you offering?

I feel for the guy. However, he comes off as arrogant and mean spirited in those clips. He has no compassion or empathy for himself or anyone else in those moments, in direct conflict with all that ‘enlightened’ talk.