Jimmy DiResta makes a wooden spoon

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/29/jimmy-diresta-makes-a-wooden-s.html

3 Likes

Lovely spoon!

@1:20 he seems to have an acceptable stiletto sole.

4 Likes

I always thought you just made them out of bigger spoons…

5 Likes

DiResta videos are the best part of my day when I find them.

I can watch that format of “DIY” video all day long.

No talking, No music, just craftsmanship.

8 Likes

His wooden spoon turned out a lot better than the wooden knife I made.

4 Likes

I wonder if George Washington ate with a wooden spoon.

1 Like

I liked his use of the laser to test depth and glue to hold the block for the template. :smirk:

I cringed when he used a band saw to shave edges on his rough cut. Isn’t that what belt sanders are for? One slip, there goes your thumb. :grimacing: :cold_sweat:

Also, crunching down with a table vise on piece of soft pine? Wouldn’t that tend to cause it to dent or split along the grain from compression? :scream: :hushed:

But it’s a nice spoon. :grinning:

Rating: 3 out of 5 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s spoons all the way down.

Reminds me a bit of the “shadow box” way of making objects in ZBrush

3 Likes

Band saw safety video?

2 Likes

He wanted to sync it up with music but YouTube slapped him down and he is a self-professed ignoramus when it comes to copyright, so he just doesn’t bother with music.

Another victory for musicians everywhere!

3 Likes

TIL - I prefer it that way.

There are a few similar channels with random music stuffs, and I’ll take it or leave it. Unless it’s too annoying and then there is the mute button.

2 Likes

Likewise. I have seen some build videos elsewhere (like in Tested) where they use music that isn’t obnoxious, and at times even complements the build well. But for DiResta i really don’t mind the complete lack of music.

1 Like

speaking of which, what is Primitive Technology up to?
more slowed down but same vibe

i’m busier than a wooden spoon at a spelling bee.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’d always wondered to what extent it’s possible to model a complex object solely from a three-view print.

If I showed this video to my wife, I wonder if she’ll buy me a bandsaw for Christmas?

2 Likes

Jesus Christ, guy! Watch those fingers!

2 Likes

You do not watch DiResta for safety techniques.

2 Likes

This is how we can have nice expensive things