Jinkies! Velma got an Honest Trailer from Screen Junkies

Ugh, you just reminded me that character existed :wink:

Truly one of the most annoying characters ever created, it single-handedly changed me from loving the cartoon to avoiding it like the plague when i was a child :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Meanwhile, we have fan-shows like Mystery Incorporate (i think it was featured on BB back when it was released) do a much better job of keeping the spirit intact while making a much more interesting show for adults.

I would have watch the hell out of this series.

3 Likes

Love venture, Rick and Morty but Velma wasn’t the best, wasn’t bad either and the piling on of hate has been crazy to see.

1 Like

Honestly, the re-casting of the racial makeup of the Scooby gang was the one interesting thing about the show. The overwhelming hostility towards the show’s audience, the lazy writing, and lack of any real humor to cushion things is what turned me off. Daphne having two mothers, Velma being Indian and bi-sexual? None of that was an issue for me. Those were some interesting choices, but they weren’t “bad” choices.

The REST of the show’s choices however…

8 Likes

I concur.

The diversity and inclusion wasn’t the problem.

8 Likes

I wonder if we would have had the same ongoing conversation about the show if Mindy Kaling had made almost the exact same thing but as an homage to Scooby-Doo instead of as an extension to the property. So many poorly-received shows come and go without the commentary dragging on and on. I’d like to chalk this up to Scooby-Doo’s being so beloved, but it’s not like everything else his wet nose has touched has turned to gold.

1 Like

In my case, at least, it’s just that it felt like it was trying hard to be an edgy update and failing.

I completely agree that doing the same concept (an origin story) that was faithful to the original would have been uninteresting, though if it had the same kind of inclusivity I would have applauded it as “a good thing for kids to see” - because all kids should have the chance to see themselves represented in the media they watch - while not watching it myself, because it would just be more Scooby-do.

I love a lot of things that take kid properties (and styles) and “edge them up” for grownups. Venture Bros, Space Ghost, Harvey Birdman, WonderShowzen (which I am assuming ages poorly?), Moral Orel - all things I loved. I still watched all of Velma despite not thinking it rises to the level of any of those. It was fine. Kinda all over the place with the humor punching up, down, and side to side, which occasionally raised an eyebrow. But still fine.

2 Likes

Agreed; even if had been an obvious homage but with all the same elements and writing, it still would have been bad.

I say this as someone who actively wanted to like the show and just… didn’t.

Like others have already said, there’s a mean-spirited vibe to it that just wasn’t funny or entertaining at all…

1 Like

Yup. While many bad shows come and go, many of them aren’t actively attacking a beloved television institution. Not everything that has involved Scooby-Doo has been golden, some of it has been mediocre to bad, but it all seemed to be a genuine attempt at making something entertaining. Succeed or fail, there was a sincerity to those attempts.

Velma, however, not so much. There is no love for the source material. There is no love for their audience. It is just mean-spirited driving trollies. I think that is the difference. That such a show made it this far is beyond me.

There isn’t a way that this show could’ve been made as an homage to Scooby-Doo - because it actively denigrates the show. If it were funny, then we could consider it as a parody, but it fails there too. Hell, I don’t know WHAT to call this mess.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.