Joe Biden campaign upgrades typeface

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/joe-biden-campaign-upgrades-ty.html

6 Likes

Was it intentional to use such a tiny font with the readable font?

4 Likes

Designers - HUH!

(Oh, wait . . . I am one!)

7 Likes

I’m not voting for anyone who doesn’t use comic sans.

Huckabee / Santorum 2020!

10 Likes

Ah, so Biden’s campaign staff is FINALLY putting in some effort?

16 Likes

Finally. A typeface with roots in the written word.

15 Likes

I can’t wait for the headlines tomorrow.

DEMOCRATS IN DISARRAY AS BIDEN CAMPAIGN SHUFFLES TYPOGRAPHY

DESPERATE BIDEN TRIES TO CLING TO RELEVANCE WITH SERIF

EX-BIDEN FONT DISHES: “COULDN’T KERN HIS WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG”

In other news: Trump ordered CIA to share intel with Russians after bounty plot revealed

25 Likes

It makes me want to say PRESIDENT BELIEVE SCIENCE in my best/worst Frankenstein’s Monster voice.

17 Likes

Living in perfect harmony.

Also:

8 Likes

BIDEN CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST #1: So what’s our game plan here?
BIDEN CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST #2: Make Joe look like a vastly superior alternative to Trump.

[Both turn to TV for 15 seconds]

BIDEN CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST #2: So, lunch?
BIDEN CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST #1: Yeah, I could eat.

21 Likes

Biden is +14 in the polls.

Your cartoon makes much more sense with Trump being dragged by Fox/NewsMax/OANN (ie, Right-Wing Media).

2 Likes

Hmm, perhaps they learned a thing or two about political spin while they were embedded with the military during the invasion of Iraq.

1 Like

And removed President from their logo.

Decimal finds its roots in wristwatches — it’s true as time. Mercury, with its roots in the written word.

Put simply, our typography is bound by the truth.

Biden’s new campaign typefaces are a pivot to the general election

Do the quoted sentences have any actual meaning? If so, I’m having difficulty finding it.

14 Likes

The “pivot” sentence makes some sense, if the campaign is using the font change to symbolically mark the change from the primary campaign to the general campaign.

The first sentence is odd though: shouldn’t the font name be “duodecimal”?

3 Likes

2oz90j

11 Likes

Hoefler&Co decided it wasn’t. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be Duodecimal, other than Decimal is a simpler name.

2 Likes

I think it makes sense. The two typefaces are supposed to invoke two entities that you could reasonably expect to tell you the truth: newspapers and wrist watches. Of course these days people will say newspapers don’t tell you the truth but that is probably very much part of the message: the campaign is evoking a time when cries about fake news weren’t a part of life and they are hinting at the fact that it is their opponent who brought that time to an end.

I actually like the new design, too.

3 Likes

It’s just as funny as BE BEST

6 Likes

Ooookaaaay. Frankly I think the typographer’s statements are complete twaddle. But if I buy into your interpretation re newspapers and watches, should I infer that we are also living in a fake time? I think there may be some truth in that.

6 Likes