Biden-Harris: Here's the typeface they're using

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/biden-harris-typeface.html

4 Likes

I don’t see any obvious way to deface the logotype to spell something funny, so good deal there.

23 Likes

I’m cool with it. I like it better than Brother 1816, whose “N” looks too aggressive to my eye. I appreciate the balance between the two names not giving Biden an excessive amount of visual space; they look more like equals here (compare to Trump/Pence). Might have been hoping for a little more visual pizazz like Obama/Biden had, but it’s… I guess “inoffensive” is the word I’m reaching for?

9 Likes

I wonder if they came up with variants of signage for all of the top contenders, or if they were working furiously at the last minute.

5 Likes

it doesn’t hang together for me without a corresponding flag element [or something like that] in harris. the point size difference necessitates a unifying element or other linkage to keep them from disassociating.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m sure all the variants will have been worked through extensively. And are at this very moment being consigned to the memory hole.

2 Likes

Amazingly, the typeface makes the new logo even more moderate than before!

6 Likes

How have I never seen this before? I’m going out to buy blue spray paint right now!

10 Likes

In fact, I’ll bet the winner was the one whose name looked most marketable on the poster!

2 Likes

Typeface nerds?!? I prefer the term “fontophile”.

Very different, like funeral director vs. mortician.

Or the Judean People’s Front as opposed to the People’s Front Of Judea.

11 Likes

McCain deserved to lose based on choosing that typeface alone.

…but will the t-shirt be a hit with the Korean kids?

Forget the typeface, I hope they fix the margins on that Yello image :shudder:

How about we just make it Times New Roman or Arial and get on with the business of fixing our nation.

2 Likes

At least they didn’t go with Papyrus.

4 Likes

Mondale/Ferraro went for Helvetica. In retrospect, that make so much sense.

From the article:

After Mike Pence was announced as Trump’s running mate, the campaign introduced a logo that depicted a T inside a P and was considered suggestive
and promptly pulled.

My guess it was a deliberative effort: in, then out, then in, then out again.

11 Likes

They missed an opportunity to blue-out the “GR” in the subtitle.

3 Likes

Coming soon to BB Shops: Buy this 50 font package that includes the Biden campaign font* for $1 each!

(* A close approximation of. Total package cost $50.)

1 Like

Yup. A quick search shows this, just one of many:

11 Likes