Joe Biden is the Hillary Clinton of 2020 – and it won't end well this time either

It bears repeating that Hillary Clinton got more votes than any white man in history, Trump included. Numerically speaking she DID beat Trump by millions.

The only Presidential candidate who got more votes than Hillary was the black guy.

I’m not sure how that fits with the narrative “only a straight white male can beat Trump.”

12 Likes

but I said

I am all for electoral college reform and all that jazz, but you gotta win.

2 Likes

She came a lot closer to beating Trump than the last straight white male the Democrats nominated got to beating George W. Bush.

Dems won’t win by trying to appeal to the opposition’s base.

5 Likes

Close isn’t good enough.

We have a maniac in the Oval Office right now who’s ready to start a War with Iran. Close doesn’t get stupid out of the office and get us closer towards a more fair and just society. A place where people don’t have to fear going to church and school and being killed by some lunatic with a gun. The lunatic being viewed as his/her rights being more important than the senseless loss of life and human casualty of giving weapons of war to anyone on the street because of some dusty document that was supposed to have been able to be amended long ago. Close doesn’t even get us a seat at the table, it gets us a seat at the kids table where we’re laughed at by morons who’re in office because either no one with moral fiber is running or necessarily someone is being backed by corporate stooges that seek to further erode our government institutions to line their pockets.

2 Likes

Why should we assume a straight white male has a better chance at unseating Trump? The last two times the Democrats ran a straight white male they lost the general election.

4 Likes

I think we ought to double down on Old White Guys this cycle:

• Biden, Prez
  • Sanders, VP

Surely that kind of milkshake would bring all the boys to the yard?

1 Like

Do you think women don’t vote?

7 Likes

Women voted in 2016.

The question is who the white women will vote for:

2 Likes

Nah, he’s the pinnacle of what’s been leading up to this. Since the 20th century we’ve seen the formation of the president as king thing. The fact you have 1/3 of the population in support of overt authoritarianism should worry you since it doesn’t take a majority to dominate/bully/kill another majority. It’s just that we live in that time no one wants to live in where this all starts becoming all too real. I fear for my family’s safety thanks to these trends but I can’t pretend there’s nothing going on or that in the next election that there won’t be a continual lurch to reactionary politics.

It’s not exactly like we’re seeing the Nazi Germany part two, but we are seeing fascism of another kind emerge. It’s one that sees Muslims, women, immigrants, PoC, and LGBT folks as enemies to be utterly ruined. I’m just waiting for them to force put Google or some other tech company to the task of a complex surveillance system with a database to track folks like that (me included) before they start their version of the Final Solution.

5 Likes

Yes. I’m aware that white women can be racist, too and sexist against women.

How about WE DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE instead of leaning into this?

5 Likes

Also, I think the DNC needs to learn from Wisconsin as to what happened to Walker. Walker and the Wisconsin GOP fell for the same consultant trap the DNC and DCCC did. It’s time to go local/regional or go home wrt to politics. It’s why I like Warren, she’s not afraid to connect to the regional/local issues unlike Biden and O’Rourke or who are too busy being boring white dudes.

4 Likes

The Democrats have lost a LOT of elections over the last 190 years where the nominee was an old white guy, yet the consensus has never been “I guess we can’t win if we nominate an old white guy.”

Yet the first time a female candidate narrowly loses the electoral college in the general election (after winning the popular vote by a substantial margin) we’re supposed to accept that a woman simply can’t win.

I have little doubt that if McCain had beaten Obama the takeaway would have been “THAT’S IT, WE’RE DONE NOMINATING BLACK GUYS.”

8 Likes

I don’t want 4 more years of that fuc*ing moron. Close isn’t good enough. My great grandpa WW2 veteran said: “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades”.

1 Like

Well then here’s some bad news:

Trump almost certainly will refuse to leave office even if he loses by a wide margin in the electoral college.

1 Like

At least if we have someone who wins, the military has a choice to side with the public. Give them a reason to punt this moron out of office.

Hillary isn’t running again. The question is “why do you think a straight white male would be an inherently stronger candidate to run against Trump than any other candidate?”

6 Likes

Joe Biden is the Hillary Clinton of 2020

The main reason why I feel this is malarky is that HRC lost the electoral college not because of her policies, but because the whole nomination process was lacking oomph. There was no real opposition form within the party, only that O’Malley person, so when non-Democrat Sanders joined it still felt like a forgone conclusion. And Biff (now President Biff) was so clearly unqualified that people forgot how people wouldn’t so much vote for him but against the lady who had been vilified and slandered since 1992.

And this time, well, Biden isn’t the shoo-in that HRC was. That is the biggest difference. This time, there’s an exciting field full of great candidates, all of them full of energy, none of them (not even Joe!) thinking that they simply deserve it this time around. Well, maybe Joe, and maybe Bernie.

1 Like

Enter entitled previous VP. Joe Biden. A divided primary among 20 some contenders makes it more likely someone won’t win outright at the DNC convention. Then enter the super-delegates that come in, in round 2. Who do you think they will back? My bet is Biden gets nominated, splits the dem party, and then Trump gets 4 more years.

^ Nate Silver went over this scenario in his podcast talking about the odds of this happening with the current track of events.

People will feel cheated whether Biden wins or Harris wins because they will be labled as Democratic establishment insiders (not incorrectly I might add but, still). I want Trump to lose. White male candidate who’s not Biden, please step up. We need a president who isn’t Trump and isn’t Trumpesque. His politics need to be retired to the dustbin of history with the Nazis, fascists, and communists. We need to move on from this chapter of history. I want someone that will WIN, isn’t close to winning.

TLDR: Close doesn’t count.

I get you, but I think you miss the point about the overall energy. We will be more engaged, there will be more reporting once the primaries kick in, and so on. The candidates themselves will most likely have learned to do the whole “of course my esteemed colleagues would be great presidents, just not as good as I would be” routine of not injuring each other.

It won’t feel like the candidate is simply coasting because it is a foregone conclusion, no matter who.