John and Yoko in love and on love

[Permalink]

John Lennon is to me the most fascinating person in the whole of popular culture. Not a perfect person by any means, but unfathomably complex and interesting. And what a musical legacy!

But is it just me or does he try to interrupt and/or shut down Yoko almost every time she opens her mouth? Maybe he was frightened of her saying something embarrassing or maybe he was just unable to shake off the idea of it being a man’s world, despite what some of his songs seemed to say.

2 Likes

Not just you. He didn’t let her get a word in edgewise. He stepped on everything she said. He talked about how much he loved Yoko, but he sure didn’t seem to respect her.

1 Like

Never really could take a multimillionaire pop star telling people to imagine no possessions and that all they needed was love.

Fuck that, really.

4 Likes

dude gets a pass on shit cuz he fronted (and probably actually believed) idealistic, but by all accounts, he was mainly a rich asshole.

Especially one that beat two wives, one of whom let him because she desired the fame more than anything else, the other one not so much, cheated on both wives, cheated on the mistresses, and abandoned one of his sons because he was looking for an upgrade to the point of cutting him out of the will and making him personae non grata to even his friends because he let them know that any continued relationship with his ‘former son’ would be an affront to him.

The dude didn’t know love, but knew how to make millions from people that thought he did. Pretty much the perfect psychopath.

3 Likes

All you NEED is love. That doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to WANT a fancy Manhattan apartment and a collection of luxury automobiles.

1 Like

Yup. I noticed it straightaway. But I might not have back then. It’s the sort of thing blokes were unconscious of. And women were (mostly) complicit in allowing themselves to be talked over. We can be better at being people.

Wasn’t Lennon a wifebeater?

2 Likes

THis would have been better (and a little more fair seeing how John hogged the talking) if at least the background music was Yoko Ono’s. You know, like some discordant screeching and banging or something.

The evidence looks that way, though he claimed love fixed that problem:

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man, I was mean but I’m changing my scene
And I’m doing the best that I can (ooh)

I admit it’s getting better
A little better all the time (It can’t get no worse)
Yes, I admit it’s getting better, it’s getting better
Since you’ve been mine

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.