John Boyega opens up about racism and STAR WARS in a GQ Interview

intersectionality

Star Trek fans are much more robust and reasonable! :vulcan_salute: :grin:

13 Likes

Pretty much.

9 Likes

Seconded. The attacks on Marie Tran/Rose started the minute the movie was released, but the attacks on John Boyega/Finn started the moment that shot of a black man in stormtrooper armor hit the screens in that first teaser trailer.

8 Likes

True, I remember the immediate backlash from the toxic fanboys…

“A BLACK storm trooper; HOW DARE YOU?!?”

10 Likes

Absolutely. Which begs the question of why they brought Abrams back in the first place. And why they were so hooked on the idea that their directors need to write the scripts anyway. Johnson was right there, and for all the noise TLJ was successful, critically praised, and popular. If they’d engaged screen writers whoever picked up the 3rd film wouldn’t be starting from scratch.

You don’t hire JJ Abrams to write and direct a whole trilogy. He’s a deeply frustrating writer, and a capable but ultimately bland director. But he is an excellent producer. So the initial arrangement of Abrams handling the first film, but sticking around to produce is excellent use of the guy. But he cut ties and had apparently repeatedly refused to direct the other entries.

The fact they they went back to Abrams at all is one of the major reasons I suspect Lucasfilm wanted to back track. He doesn’t finish things well, he’d already cut ties. But at the time the nasty were talking about him like he was Star Wars Jesus.

Abrams history is why I personally wouldn’t give him the benefit of the doubt. I have an easier time believing he didn’t give a shit, than that he didn’t have the creative pull to do better. And he was clearly interested in wedging his own twists in whether they worked or not.

I’m also suspicious of how closely some of those beats match early fan theories. It’s entirely possible Abrams didn’t have answers and solutions to what he’d set up, and mined fan chatter for ideas.

I just wonder how much of what might have come down from above, and if “undo xyz, insert romance” etc might have been the job he was hired for. There was clearly a much bigger problem at Lucasfilm.

The film we got in the end doesn’t just mismatch with TLJ, it doesn’t mesh or follow from TFA either. It doesn’t so much try to cram a retcon of TLJ in as it attempts rehash and redo the entire trilogy in the span of a single movie.

Abrams ego and shortcomings can explain the reversals on TLJ. But if that’s all that was going on why expend so much effort undermining his own work?

2 Likes

Nobody had ever seen a single Stormtrooper without a helmet before. No, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker don’t count, obviously.

Nice fucking reaction, fanboys.

I bet there’s another bunch of assholes that are pissed off Jango Fett was played by a Maori. Actually, probably the same bunch.

12 Likes

Side note, but it was really weird how in Solo Han seemed to be the only Imperial pilot/infantryman serving in the Empire whose helmets didn’t cover his face.

1 Like

I imagine they must hate the Mandalorian then, because Mando is all kinds of Sexy Brown:

10 Likes

Weirdly, there was also some small amount of criticism from people who claimed Attack of the Clones furthered stereotypes about Latino people because the army of disposable human beings portrayed by the Maori actor “looked” kinda Latino, or something.

“Modeled on bounty hunter Jango Fett, the clones, we’re told, are genetically modified for docility and obedience. The breeding project, conducted by long-necked aliens who look like refugees from ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind,’ takes place on the planet Kamino soundalike for the Spanish word ‘camino,’ which means ‘road’ or ‘I walk.’ […] He looked totally Latino,” says Martina Guzman, a Detroiter who’s managing a State House election campaign.
“And his kid,” says Wayne State history professor Jose Cuello, referring to the young Boba Fett, “looked even more Latino.”

4 Likes

He is the way :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Yeah, he is…

6 Likes

You gotta be careful on those Mandalorian dating sites because you never really know what you’re gonna get under that helmet.

10 Likes

That guy on the left has a weird shaped face that I don’t find attractive.

They guy on the right just looks like most overgrown SW fanboys to me.

3 Likes

That’s actually what the kid who played “Young Boba” looks like now.

3 Likes

A bit too much Danny Dyer for me :grimacing:

4 Likes

How unfortunate for him; he was cuter as a kid.

4 Likes

OohBurn|nullxnull

I laughed way too hard at that… :smirk:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Well you can’t put a childhood photo on your Tinder profile, that’s just creepy. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It so is :grin:

4 Likes