John Boyega opens up about racism and STAR WARS in a GQ Interview

Getting back on topic, John Boyega has become even more attractive to me partly because of his activism.

9 Likes

He uses his voice. More power to him.

10 Likes

Yep; that makes him attractive inside, as well as out…

8 Likes

Yep - Danial Logan and Mark Austin. Logan is also of Māori decent like his “father”, Temuera Morrison. While he has voiced Boba Fett as a kid in some of the Clone Wars Animated Series, he hasn’t had a lot of work as an actor. But I think he should get more work, if for no other reason than he has been super friendly to the fans and is one of those cool people who constantly is out there engaging with them. Maybe that is partly for the fact it pays well, but the interactions I’ve seen and the one time I met him, his enthusiasm seems genuine.

ETA - Even though they will keep the helmet on - at this point in the game if they do portray Fett on the small or large screen should be a Maori. Hopefully someone who can also do a good voice over.

That difference might reflect how Jar Jar Binks was much harder to stand compared to Wesley Crusher.

And given those exceptions, they didn’t even know he was actually a stormtrooper yet. They were upset that a black man could fit in stormtrooper armor.

5 Likes

Wesley never tried to get cheap laughs by stepping in shit or getting his tongue caught in machinery.

3 Likes

tng-wesley-wow|nullxnull

Wesley Crusher was awesome (and had the best shirts). Jar Jar was a racist stereotype.

9 Likes

The guy on the left needs to learn how to pack lighter. He has too many action figures and tater tots in his pockets.

The guy on the right looks like mustachioed Bob Newhart, “He’s … no good to me … dead”

Does anyone remember if there was similar backlash about Mace Windu? I honestly don’t remember, but that was also pre social media, so the outrage, if any, had no megaphone. I was also a lot less aware of society’s ills back then, if I’m honest.

1 Like

I don’t, but 2002 was a simpler time when shit posting trolls and racists existed, but their scope was less than today. Forums were smaller and reached far less people than like facebook does now. And in general regular media ignored shit people said on the internet, so it never made the news.

1 Like

I can’t find anything, but it’s still likely that there was some upset about it, even though Samuel L holds a special place in American pop culture, thanks to his run of successful films in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Meanwhile John Boyega was basically unknown prior to SW.

That shouldn’t make a different, but bigots tend to be fairly selective about their “special exceptions.”

8 Likes

I think the big mistake here is assuming JJ Abrams knew what he was doing. He was winging a complex trilogy that ended the story of 6 previous films by introducing mystery boxes that had no answer when they were written and the plan was to wing this shit like he does every other thing he works on.

They needed somebody in charge to like actually plan out where the story was going to go so many characters just got screwed over in the mess.

5 Likes

I certainly may have missed it, but the only color-based controversy I remember about Mace Windu was that he was the only Jedi to get a purple lightsaber, which apparently Samuel insisted upon it, and he gets what he wants.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.screenjolt.com/samuel-l-jackson-refused-purple-lightsaber/

8 Likes

I heard he asked for it because then he’d be visible on screen even at a distance. Smart move.

10 Likes

Thanks for posting this. That’s what I remembered, too. And that fanbois were upset that, since his lightsaber wasn’t blue/green or red, they wouldn’t know if he was a baddie. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Yes but also because he just really likes purple.

image image image image image

14 Likes

A man of taste and refinement.

9 Likes

He looks good in it. Definitely a smart move.

8 Likes

Yeah, I almost added “or did they just see Samuel L Jackson and go ‘hell yeah, motherfucker!’” But I decided to leave that unsaid lol.

5 Likes