John Boyega opens up about racism and STAR WARS in a GQ Interview

I also like purple, and I have osteogenesis imperfecta like Glass, so that’s two things I have in common with him. Probably the only two things, but I’ll take it.

5 Likes

So you are not an evil genius then? Thats nice to know.

2 Likes

I’m certain that did indeed have a LOT to do with it.

5 Likes

It’s kind of a pity because Mace Windu was written as restrained, soft spoken, slow to act and kind of a dope (it took him 10 years to put together the “Palpatine is the bad guy” thing despite working in the office next door). Standard qualities for a Jedi, but in many ways the opposite of the kind of roles where Jackson really gets to shine: Badass Motherfuckers who have little patience for fools.

6 Likes

I thought I was a genius at one point in my life, and then reality disabused me of that idea.

1 Like

Damn, that’s powerful.

6 Likes

Not to derail, but I disagree with this. Pretty much every single series mystery got wrapped up by the end of Lost. They just weren’t very satisfying resolutions for the most part.

2 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

But to the extent Lost was wrapped up at all the credit doesn’t really belong to J.J. since he himself said in interviews that the people asking him how Lost would end should instead ask David Lindelof & Carlton Cuse, who ran the show since the end of Season 2 and were largely forced to figure it out on their own.

1 Like

Imagine the backlash of fan boys if it really were James Earl Jones behind Vader’s mask

Yeah I wonder what it must be like to pursue a career in acting, just at the whim of so many forces and reading someone else’s words for so long without any end in sight. At what point and what kind of person would have re-evaluated their values enough to use their platform for actual mobilization and to encourage others to join them in their mission (politically speaking, not just actor turned director)

1 Like

Agreed - I read about her being treated terribly, and I was surprised to hear Boyega saying he was the only onewho got a raw deal based on race. Though I guess her problem was more to do with asshole fans than the production itself.

Obviously Boyega has his own experience, but in terms of results on film, isn’t the last movie by Abrams way more reductive to the characters of color than Johnson’s The Last Jedi?

Rose is completely shut out. Finn isn’t really memorable and is basically neutered from a romantic point-of-view from both Rose and Rey. That’s all RoS and Abrams.

But Finn and Rose have a major subplot all to themselves (even if you don’t like it) in The Last Jedi. And the romance is seeded to continue, as would be a bigger role for both of them if, say, Johnson did the third movie.

1 Like

He has a fair enough point on that actually. Finn went from a core part of the main plot, to sequestered in a B plot, to kind of there and oh i guess he’s a Jedi now?

As for Isaac, Abrams was clear from the start that they didn’t know what to do there. Poe Dameron was originally intended to die in the crash early in the first movie. His chemistry with Boyega and very positive reactions to the announcement and early footage prompted them to bump him up to a main character. That’s why he’s missing from much of the middle section of TFA and never actually meets Rey in the first film.

It’s this overall issue Boyega seems to be responding to. This isn’t the first time he’s spoken about this, and he has not laid it on any specific film or blamed Abrams or Johnson. He’s has been quite defensive of Johnson in the past. Other cast members have also made it a point to defend Abrams and Johnson when speaking about these issues.

His framing on this one is pretty specific.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.