John Denver's "Country Roads" in minor key

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/07/john-denvers-country-roads.html

6 Likes

kinda sounds like the Fleet Foxes

6 Likes

Wasn’t it already in minor?

1 Like

Minority (that’s the right word, isn’t it?) dialed up to eleven?

or

even more minor

2 Likes

A Major I think, it’s just that it sounds like a dirge I think!

Edit:
https://musescore.com/user/27549/scores/4992035

to be fair, basically all john denver songs are simultaneously uplifting and sad to me these days.

5 Likes

They are EXTREMELY nostalgic for me, as back when my parents would actually play music around the house, Denver was a common on the record player.

Objectively, his songs are so often fun and or sweet. I mean, he hung out with the Muppets, so he had to be a pretty decent guy.

2 Likes

The opening chords sound like the soundtrack of a spaghetti western though, overall, it’d probably make a great theme for a movie about a Confederate soldier returning home from the Civil War.

1 Like

Now it sounds like a song written about Texas or New Mexico in the 1990s by one of those people whose records are hard to file ( folk? rock? country?) but get played a lot on NPR.

1 Like

I was going to say it’s just a matter of time before this is used in a horror movie trailer, but it already happened.

2 Likes

yes, exactly the same for me. plus, i’m from CO, and it just seemed like Denver was everywhere and “a local guy” back in the 70s. his music reminds me of my childhood in a deep way.

4 Likes

Now I want to hear klezmer pulled into major keys

1 Like

I’d give it a listen, but I already saw Joker this week. :sob:

I actually think it’s more interesting and deeper this way.

1 Like

i think the saddest things are desperate doomed optimism. “I’m going to be alright” always sounds sadder than “I’m sad”. Knowing a singer’s life was gonna be cut short adds to that pathos.

Suddenly this song is tolerable.

1 Like

Listening to the version in the post made me think, “That’s one country road where I’d pray not to run out of gas…” :cold_sweat:

The Maryland Mango Muumuunion can sing this neatening up the motorway. It can just go in the NYTimes morgue with all the other upbeat videos about coaches who advised sagely and didn’t diminish their charges…er, athletes.

This was my first thought. There’s must be some Tool/Radiohead music we can shift for comedic effect.

Edit: Here we go!

1 Like
2 Likes