John Oliver on police brutality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/08/john-oliver-on-police-brutalit.html

13 Likes

Make time to watch this whole thing. Especially the last minute or two.

25 Likes

“You’re lucky that we’re looking for equality and not revenge.”

28 Likes

Every word she said was spot-on. Of course, the anti-Americans will see her righteous anger through their own lens, but she is right and they are wrong.

23 Likes

24 Likes

65 Likes

Wow, just wow that was powerful

6 Likes

I really need to get a VPN or something. Geoblocking sucks.

6 Likes

That was another great piece by Jogn Oliver. And you can feel how angry his is about all of this. He is a better journalist than most journalists.

7 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

She deserves even more than just the airwaves: in less than two minutes she made a point no politician would dare with their usual blah blah. Her final words should be painted just everywhere.

8 Likes

I’m glad for the advice to stick through to the last 2 minutes! He built a powerful case. And she was the perfect capstone. I heven’t felt this hopeful for genuine progressive change in decades!

4 Likes

Powerful.

Her name is Kimberly Jones, she is the co-author of the YA novel I’m Not Dying with You Tonight: https://amzn.com/1492678899

John Oliver showed 1⅓ minutes only; here’s the full 6¾ minutes video:

Further reading/watching:

14 Likes

What a powerful show. That was the most intense I’ve ever seen John Oliver.

3 Likes

Respect! I can imagine her being taught about MLK’s dream, only to then grow up looking at that dream being dismantled one piece at a time.
Her words should be given the best possible coverage, she nails it to the point in a few minutes; those communications skills are worth a lot in situations like that. “they’re lucky that we’re looking for equality and not revenge” to me is also a song that desperately wants to be written asap.

Also thanks for the Tulsa massacre reference. Now even this white nobody half a planet away knows about that.

2 Likes

This white nobody half a planet away learned about that from the Watchmen show. It was such a powerful education that I was shocked to have never heard of it before. To be honest I had never heard of a prosperous black American community before. Nothing like that is every mentioned in pop culture or media that gets exported.

1 Like

It’s there, but you have to know where to look.

:musical_note: You can say that they’re just black,
But I like to deal with facts
In the 1920s you would’ve found in America
Black towns,
Prospering centres of economics
and education to make you proud
But some people couldn’t bear
that the former slaves would not just lie down
So the KKK and other hate groups burnt
those towns to the ground
Killin hundreds,
If it ain’t understood,
You think you were always livin’ in the hood? :musical_note:

Artists like that don’t get a lot of play on corporate media.

2 Likes

Get Tor browser and paste the YouTube clips URL in.

Thanks, totally missed that show.