John Oliver's hilarious history of duck stamps

Originally published at: John Oliver's hilarious history of duck stamps | Boing Boing

5 Likes

For those who coveted “Duck Hunt” or “Duck Hunting Hunters”, the auction is here:

4 Likes

Added.

4 Likes

Let’s just hope Nintendo leaves this auction alone

2 Likes

I have a few duck stamps in my stamp collection. Like a lot of older stamps, many of them are engraved works of art.

Also, you can buy hunting and fishing licenses locally, and that money goes directly to state/local wildlife departments. Many departments depend on license revenue.

7 Likes
13 Likes

I guess nobody collects these for the art

1 Like

From now on I’m going to call American Eagles “Patriotic Murder-Ducks.”

4 Likes

I loved how the “local guy’s duck painting might be selected for U.S. postage stamp art” was the biggest talk of the town throughout that movie.

6 Likes

Actually, stamp collectors do! There is a whole subset of stamp collectors who collect other federal and state tax stamps. Or even Colonial era tax stamps from Britain (often times a literal stamp or embossed, not a paper stamp.)

The original ones were also engraved, which is fun to look at under a magnifying glass.

2 Likes

The thing is, that scene doesn’t make any sense. Duck stamps aren’t a variety of postage stamp. They don’t come in different denominations. In 1996, the year Fargo came out it was $15. (now they’re $25) It really had me scratching my head when I watched the movie.

There are exceptions.

5 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that, up until the part where Former Guy mandated that “hunting imagery” must be part of them now, which then makes a lot of non-hunters stop buying them, dramatically decreasing the needed revenue to preserve the ecologies in question.

Goddammit is there nothing that human cold sore didn’t ruin?

4 Likes

A lot of other countries, in that for whatever reasons, he didn’t start any new wars in them? :woman_shrugging:

Credit where it’s due, etc

5 Likes

You’re dis-lickable!

No, but…

And he just handed out Kurdish allies over to the Turks in Syria, too, knowing that the government in Ankara views them as terrorists.

9 Likes

There’s basically nothing he can’t ruin.

1 Like

Not from lack of trying. Apparently he inquired about the possibility of nuking Iran. He didn’t have the support of the Joint Chiefs, so I suspect he wouldn’t have gotten far, but he was clearly not above the GOP “start a war to get support and prop up the defense industry” approach to policy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.