John Steinbeck wrote a werewolf novel in 1930, but his estate refuses to publish it

Originally published at: John Steinbeck wrote a werewolf novel in 1930, but his estate refuses to publish it | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I just hope it’s better than that rediscovered Ernest Hemingway manuscript about sexy non-threatening sparkly teenage vampires.

21 Likes

Gross censorship… I bet it’s good! Or Steinbeck’s answer to the Twilight series with an element of the Crucible…

6 Likes

At least it’s good enough that Steinbeck himself thought it was worth getting published.

I can understand respecting an author’s wishes when it comes to a manuscript that they chose to withhold from publication because they realized it wasn’t that good and didn’t want to hurt their legacy by putting it out there, but this clearly wasn’t that if he had been actively seeking publishers.

11 Likes

Seventeen years to go and the estate won’t have a say any more.

5 Likes

Move over, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It’s time for Of Mice and Wolf-Men.

25 Likes

Not everything Steinbeck wrote was worthy of reading, I submit “Traveling with Charlie” for your consideration…

6 Likes

Charlie was a good boy though, let’s not be too harsh on him.

6 Likes

He didn’t write the book did he?

5 Likes

No, but boy did he travel.

8 Likes

The Harry Ransom Center is definitely the best possible place to hold hostage a book about wolf men.

6 Likes

I loved Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat

2 Likes

“Beast of Eden”?

14 Likes

I liked cannery row so I decided to read tortilla flat looking for something in a similar vein and was hugely disappointed by the story and broad stereotyping. I haven’t read any Steinbeck since.

if they made a movie of it - starring Nicolas Cage - I would go see it

also - the photo-transform from Steinbeck to Chaney was cool

2 Likes

“Beast of Eden” - heh heh

: )

1 Like

I have a copy of “Travels With Charley” in my car, it’s for emergencies like if I have to wait in line at the RMV for three hours. You’re scaring me away from it, but I’ve heard others say they enjoyed it.

3 Likes

perhaps one could pose as a representative of publisher offering a multimillion dollar figure for movie rights in order to gain entry to the archives and then read the book with camera fitted glasses. only to get turned into a vampire by non other than Steinbeck himself.

2 Likes

It’s not his finest work, I’ve read as well a lot of the scenarios are fabricated, all his books have been researched at great lengths by many scholars, and I do think that holds water. It was written on the tail end of his literary life, maybe the pull to have another winner was his incentive, it is just not may fav.

1 Like

Probably why they won’t publish the werewolf book.

3 Likes