JOHN WILCOCK: The Day Kenneth Anger Walked Into The Pentagon to Distribute 93 Anti-War Talismans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/john-wilcock-the-day-kenneth.html

2 Likes

Men who stare at Pentagons?

7 Likes

That aroused me in ways I haven’t felt in some time.

6 Likes

I used to work at the Pentagon. (To give you an idea of how long ago this was, I have never had a pre-employment [or any other kind of] drug screening. Though it wasn’t as long ago as the events discussed here.) I can give the Kenneth Anger story some context.

The Pentagon is (or, at least, was) a public building with a Walgreens and a Metro station. Anybody could go in and walk around. The military base that made up the bulk of the building had a security checkpoint where you had to present your building pass, or somebody showing a building pass had to include you in the gesture when they said, “they’re with me”. There were tours for the public; the enlisted servicemembers who conducted the tour did the entire thing (which must have been over a mile) walking backwards, so they could stay in front but never take their eyes off their charges. Many facilities inside the Pentagon (such as the Joint Chiefs’) had their own security provisions, including doors like the ones on safes and armed guards. In some cases, data lines were encrypted even though they never left the building.

Nobody thought that only people who belonged there could enter the Pentagon.

14 Likes

250px-Five_Corners_Mall

visited dozens of men’s rooms

I recall reading that, having been constructed when segregation laws were still in effect, the facility has twice as many washrooms as would typically be necessary.

3 Likes

So. “Activism.”

How’d that work out.

1 Like

That openess is how five years later the Weather Underground was able to bomb a restroom in the Pentagon.

2 Likes

Just don’t accidentally release Yog-Sothoth.

IKEA__Accidentally%20summoning%20The%20Old%20Ones

2 Likes

2 Likes

Look at the 40+ years of anti-militarism and peace…

1 Like

Well, (spoiler) they managed to levitate the Pentagon.
It got better,er I mean, they put it back, obviously.
After all, you can’t go around moving tax-payer’s property like that, just think, none of the wheelchair ramps would reach!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.