NORTH KOREA: Satellite imagery shows new walled compound in Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/18/north-korea-satellite-imagery-shows-new-walled-compound-in-pyongyangs-kim-il-sung-square.html

3 Likes

Fastfood franchise?

4 Likes

Trump Tower Pyongyang

20 Likes

Guest house for Trump?

12 Likes

maybe kim has decided it’s time to get in on the “tiny house” craze.

17 Likes

I was gonna say…

I feel like he’s gonna make a mad dash in January.

6 Likes

Covid quarantine.

4 Likes

It’s a hot dog stand. Y’know, like the Pentagon had.

2 Likes

Bouncy castle?

3 Likes

They are interpreting the shadows incorrectly. The small “house” is on top of a big “box”, not surrounded by a high wall.

4 Likes

That’s kind of how I interpreted it too. The sunward (?) portions of the “wall” doesnt cast a high shadow, whereas the other two sides do, suggesting a tall box and not a high wall.

2 Likes

Replica of the house Kim Il Sung was born in, for some sort of display during the upcoming Eighth Party Congress and parade. Think manger.

3 Likes

Just in case people don’t get the reference, during the Cold War the Soviets were obsessed by a small building at the center of the interior courtyard of the Pentagon that they could see from satellite photos. Surely this building must have had a great strategic purpose. It was a snack stand.

9 Likes

AFAIK, no grain alcohol & rainwater on the menu, though.

6 Likes

Maybe the wall only has 2 sides, the sides that are casting shadows

or, two sides of the wall are transparent.

1 Like

Like the US border wall? (Only the best people can see it)

3 Likes

NB although it was nice to actually get “outside” for lunch, the lines for the ground zero cafe when the weather was nice enough to open it were much longer than the regular cafeterias.

4 Likes

let us gather more straws for you to grasp on to

Looks like scaffolding for a rock-concert-style stage.

Given the timing, it’s a Christkindlmarket. Happy times in the DPRK!

5 Likes