John Williams to score Ready Player One (and next Star Wars, hopefully)

[Read the post]

As a serious score/soundtrack fan I found his work on Ep 7 to be highly disappointing. Phoned in, no gravitas to it (other than when older themes popped up) I was hoping that he would move on and they would bring in someone else to handle the rest. Hopefully ep 8 will be a better affair.

For some reason I had thought he was retiring, no more movie work. If he’s still composing, good.

1 Like

Psst - Ernest Cline.

Also, if John Williams dies they have to stop making Star Wars movies. Not allowed to let anyone else score them.
DON’T DIE MR. WILLIAMS!!

2 Likes

Isn’t that tempting fate, considering the year so far.

I hope @Death is going on a good long holiday soon.

2 Likes

‘Ready Player One’ is so poorly written and ‘Armada’ is easily as bad. Some people can learn from tremendous success, others just keep doing the exact same thing and hope it works every time.

You know, it’s funny. I didn’t notice the writing problems in RPO until I tried to read it out loud. Reading it to myself it was fine - I read fast and I tend to gloss over bits that are repetitive. Reading it out loud it was really obvious how often he tells instead of shows. So many passages like “I got up from my chair and walked 4 steps to the door. I turned the knob and opened it. I stepped out into the dark hallway and closed the door behind me. Slowly I walked to the end of the corridor and looked out the window.” It got ridiculous the way every single action was narrated.

I mean, I still liked it. It’s a lovely little best of the 80’s wish-fulfillment fantasy. But don’t read it aloud if you value your sanity.

1 Like

Oʜ, ꜱᴏ ʏᴏᴜ’ᴠᴇ ᴅɪꜱᴄᴏᴠᴇʀᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪᴛᴇ ᴏꜰ AꜱʜᴋEɴᴛᴇ. Wᴇʟʟ, ɪᴛ ᴡᴏɴ’ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴍᴇ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴡᴏʀᴋ. Aɴᴅ ʜᴏʟɪᴅᴀʏꜱ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ɢᴏ ᴀꜱ ᴡᴇʟʟ ᴀꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ.

4 Likes

How many times can a guy refer to his prospective girl friend as ‘Rubenesque’ I gotta ask. I enjoyed RPO, I thought the story was fun. The button pushing maybe didn’t have the desired effect on me.
Armada though, do yourself a favor. It’s a very quick read but still not worth it.

Obligatory:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.