John's Beachcombing Museum is an eco-friendly attraction made from objects found on the beach

Originally published at: John's Beachcombing Museum is an eco-friendly attraction made from objects found on the beach | Boing Boing

1 Like

ezgif-1-d2c0547d06

2 Likes

Local Hero.

3 Likes

Ben’s shack and the beach being his living was the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline

2 Likes

Great novela about 100 pages, good read if you can find it. Love that movie, Burt Lancaster was a hoot.

2 Likes

As a kid, and adult, beach combing is a lovely diversion. When I take my kids, we fill a bucket with trash, and sometimes find a nice treasure. Glass floats used to be a thing that could be found as a kid. Plastic treasures and frosted rounded glass are still findable, but glass is ever more hard to find. Fishing crap, meters of tangled line and nets are a scourge, along with trash and remnants of abandoned boats that wash up on the shores during storms.

Not that long ago I found scorched roofing tiles that I used in the garden. It wasn’t till I got home that I realized it was the remnants from a terrible fire and later flood/land slide that had been moved and deposited on a somewhat distant beach. The tiles became a kind of memento mori for me, reminding me that all things are temporary and life is short, as I gardened in the night.

3 Likes

wonder how many “foot-in-shoe”
artifacts have washed up?
personal aside: i applied for a Washington state fisheries position at a salmon hatchery in Forks a long, long time ago.
moved to Issaquah and volunteered at the hatchery there, instead.
Forks is wierd, but i could dig it (waaaay before the Twighlight shit and the tRump MAGATs that seem to have it now).

4 Likes

While scanning the post I first read “boat parts” as “body parts”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.