Join me in celebrating 100 years of Vegemite!

Ah, but in 8 years time, who will join me in celebrating the 100th anniversary of the :switzerland: take: Cenovis?

Sign up for the newsletter and get a free tube! :thinking: (We’ll see if it makes it here…)

3 Likes

So my :new_zealand: fambly are Vegemite eating; I thought that was from having spent time in :australia:. Marmite is produced in Christchurch, on the mainland of NZ, but somehow doesn’t seem as popular on the North Island.

Anyhow, as this picture from a shelf in my kitchen shows, we are a “blended” household on this count.

Yes… Vegemite would like to be your pizza base sauce now.

Unlike pineapple, though, I think it’s fairly clear that Vegemite is not part of the older traditions of pizza making. :thinking:

5 Likes

I’ve tried them both, and yeah, I do have a bit of a preference for Marmite.

I have heard, however, that Kiwi marmite is different to UK marmite, and more similar to Vegemite

1 Like

Yeah, this goes rapidly the way of those arguments about “Guiness tastes different in Dublin”. :thinking: (…it doesn’t…) :grin:

However, next time I’m going over-carbon-quota I’ll have to make sure I collect a full set of the variants for comparison.

1 Like

Well, I was going off of Felicity Cloake, who writes

Other yeast-based spreads are available – indeed, Lawson herself has confirmed that the dish works just as well with Vegemite, which has, in my opinion, a more stock cube-like character; I also try recipes using its sweeter Aussie rival Promite and a jar of Kiwi Marmite brought over by a friend earlier in the year, which is softer and less aggressively salty than the British stuff. All of the above will sub in here with minimal fuss, and though I still prefer the straightforwardly savoury spread I grew up with, in reality, the differences, though striking to aficionados, will probably feel minor to those unused to this genre of foodstuff. Apparently the truffle Marmite is a particularly good choice, too, if you like that kind of thing.

4 Likes

The instructions I was given for applying it were as follows: “It should be as though a kitty walked through Vegemite then across your toast.”

That had me halfway won over before I even tried it and when I did I wasn’t surprised that I liked it. I’d buy a big jar every summer at the annual Australia festival and it would just about last until late spring. Unfortunately the Australia festival came to an end and with it my easy access to Vegemite. I can still find it but there was something special about buying it from someone who’d just flown in from Canberra the day before.

7 Likes

i have made Ms. Cloake’s Marmite spaghetti and it is good!
solidly in the Marmite camp, me. was married to a woman from Hong Kong, who grew up in Australia. she preferred Vegemite. i have tried them both and my tastes liked the Marmite better.
now i need to go make some toast!
do try Marmite on buttery toast with a drizzle of honey. that is a flavor (flavour?) explosion you’ll want to repeat!

4 Likes

Sounds interesting, I’m definitely going to try that. I’ve never actually made the Marmite spaghetti, but had the tab open because I wanted to make it soon anyway, and because I’d trust Felicity Cloake with my life.

2 Likes

My partner (native Kiwi) uses marmite in his cooking. He uses it to make an incredible brown gravy without the pan drippings.

(I can’t stand the stuff “straight up” e.g., on toast.)

Yeah, I think my next peanut butter/honey pita is going to get a little smear of marmite…

Any tips on this? I was thinking of mashed potatoes this week, this might be fun to try.

2 Likes

Sure!
Mix a smooth paste of water and a Tablespoon of corn starch in a saucepan.
Add heat and slowly add more water (while whisking) to about two cups.
Add two teaspoons of Marmite and whisk until it looks like gravy.
Adjust the amounts as needed.
You can also add drippings (if you have it) instead of some of the water.

Sounds hard to believe, but my partner has this preternatural ability to make Marmite taste good.

:wink:

5 Likes

I had Marmite on toast this morning and am going to make the Marmite spaghetti for dinner. It’s a good Sunday.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.