Vegemite releases an "achingly artisanal" premium version

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/12/a-little-saltier.html

2 Likes

Having previously enjoyed the limited edition Marmites — Guinness Marmite and Marmite XO – I may have to seek this out.

13 Likes

I, for one, would like to see the tasting notes for Blends 1 through 16…

11 Likes

I miss XO. It wasn’t drastically better than regular Marmite but it was still noticeably more round in flavor and a little more aromatic.

When it comes to buttered toast, I prefer Marmite but on sauteed/steamed vegetables, Vegemite sauce is savory dynamite.

5 Likes

I like this stuff, but I enjoy it only as a hobbyist.

Hell, I can’t even tell the difference between Vegemite and Marmite.

4 Likes

Despite being German,having some Marmite around the house has become absolutely indispensable. According to my field studies, most fellow Germans hate it. Odd when you consider it’s a by-product of beer brewing. Anyway, I crave it so much I have to keep myself from sitting by the telly with a spoon and my jumbo glass of Marmite from the Indian shop (these good people also keep me supplied me with PG Tips… I must be some weird sort of inborn expat).

That being said, I can for one hardly imagine how the taste could be improved and also so much that the delicious goo would be worth twice as much (that jumbo glass already sets me back 10€).

Looks to me as if they’re checking out how many suckers would pay twice as much for a repackaged product with some obscure ‘artisanal’ vibe.

3 Likes

A year or so after Marmite XO was discontinued, I saw 125g jars on eBay for 50 USD. And they were selling.

2 Likes

I like vegemite but it’s basically repurposed industrial waste. I’ll definitely buy this if I see it on shelves, just to see if premium industrial waste actually tastes nicer.

9 Likes

giphy (1)

3 Likes

sooooort of. Not really. It’s made from brewer’s yeast. While it may be sourced from the yeast used by breweries, that’s not really a waste product.

3 Likes

Like sucking on a bullion cube.

4 Likes

where can you reliably get it in the US? I can only think of Fairway in new york, but I doubt they’d carry such special items. I’m continually frustrated by world tastes vs local tastes and shipping/availability. LIKE, I’ve been trying to get a box of Kellog’s Mango Cornflakes…plainly available now even on Amazon Indian, but they won’t ship it to me in the US. Next time I go I will take two suitcases just to bring back boxes. I guess I’m a special mental case, probably most people are happy w/ the limited local selections.

That’s how you know it’s good for you.

I think Pratchett said in the Last Continent something like: you taste it, then your brain refuses to believe what you just tasted, so you have another bite.

8 Likes

My only experience with the stuff is hearing a reference to a Vegemite sandwich from the Men at Work song , “Down Under”.

Am I lucky or deprived?

2 Likes

I’ve seen Marmite in my local grocery store. It’s right next to the baking yeast. They ought to put it over in the international section.

It’s good. It’s like… Vegemite tastes like salty beef stock.

You don’t really want much more than a small dab neat. It’s very salty and has a very strong flavor. But a thin layer on buttered toast is really good.

Really, the only way I can describe its flavor is: bullion. Tastes meaty and salty. And maybe a little bitter if you eat too big a glob.

You’ll never know how good it is until you try it.

5 Likes

Marmite isn’t too tough to get ahold of; most large supermarkets have a British section with things like Heinz Beans, Hobnobs, and Marmite. Vegemite is a bit more rare, I’ve only seen it in a few specialized stores that sell Australian foods (such as Jungle Jim’s)

3 Likes

I have no love for marmite on toast (no hate for it either) but marmite sauces are wonderful. I expect vegemite would be similar.

2 Likes

“Artisanal” probably means you can’t buy a bucket of it.

10 Likes

BLASPHEMER!!!

(I actually have no dog in this race, but I like trolling my way into pillow-fight-esque religious wars, like vi vs. emacs :wink: )

I’d actually like to try the fancier versions of Vegemite and Marmite.

2 Likes