Vegemite releases an "achingly artisanal" premium version

Australian here, with a tip for possible Vegemite virgins. DO NOT FUCKING EAT IT LIKE IT’S PEANUT BUTTER!
Don’t ever try it on it’s own, it’s vile. BUT! Toast up some bread, throw down some butter and than smear the Vegemite on it THINLY.

That shit tastes delicious!

14 Likes

Yeah, on buttered toast very thinly spread is probably the best way to taste it to see if you like it.

All the youtube taste test videos piss me off. They always dig out a whole spoonful. Just look at the nutrition facts on the jar. It’s got 70% of your daily value of sodium per serving. It’s not going to taste nice on its own unless you’re a weirdo like me, or have an iron constitution.

2 Likes

I expect it would depend on the bucket used.

5 Likes

Speaking of peanut butter, Vegemite goes well with that, too. As with other butters, spread Vegemite on thinly.

1 Like

Vegemite is Australia’s joke on the world.

3 Likes

Is there a World Market near you? They usually have Vegemite on hand.

I’m in! Here, shut up and take my fucking money already!

Bonus tip: completely agree with the spread-thinly-hot-buttered-toast tip. However, to really up your vegemite game, spread it just a little thicker on that hot toast, then lay down some slices of colby or edam. OMFG … I’m off to the kitchen. /drool

7 Likes

This was my reaction to Bjork’s Homogenic when I first experienced it. Also Marmite. And fish sauce. And salmiakki. The good things in life.

1 Like

Obligs:

10 Likes

I want to thank the fine folks of this thread who have described what these products taste like. For the first time in my life, I’m interested in trying them. I totally had pica as a kid, and certainly still have a vestigial form now that colors my palate, and this stuff sounds RIGHT up my alley. :slight_smile:

Can you put it on fresh raw veggies, like carrots and celery? I’m picturing it (again, based in descriptions alone) and it sounds mighty-fine.

1 Like

Never tried it with raw veggies but I don’t see why not. A cold dipping sauce infused with garlic, a ricotta-based dip, a savory twist on traditional tahini-based salad dressing—the umami bomb of the 'mites has wide application in the kitchen.

Damn. All of these sound tasty to me. And I have garlic, ricotta, and tahini right now in my fridge.

3 Likes

The “international” isle of many supermarkets around Irish, British or Australian communities. In my area its the stop and shops. Most higher end markets will carry it. Think you’re fairways. Expat shops, most major cities will have at least one. In NYC its actually surprisingly common in Korean corner shops and Bodegas in the right neighborhoods. Especailly in Sunnyside, bits of Brooklyn, Midtown east (or was it west), and a few other areas. Vegemite you don’t see too often. Marmite seems to be the yeast paste that makes it here. I don’t know why. Neither so far as I know has real distribution in this country. I think there are just a lot more British and Irish importers bringing things in.

Iffin you’re in NY. Head out to Sunnyside in Queens and find The Butcher Block. Excellent Irish butcher and expat shop. Carry British, Scottish and some Australian stuff too. They may have vegemite as well as marmite.

Only if you’re in a place with some level of British or Irish community. Supermarkets bracket what they carry in those international aisles based on the surrounding community. In my areas jumping from town to town. You have to the East a very large Greek community. And the international aisle will have Greek food added to the Latin American ingredients, generically Asian foods, and oddly the Kosher section. Move West. To what is apparently one of the largest Polish enclaves on the east coast (shocking given how small the population out here is). And that section is full of Polish food. Generically Asian food. and Latin American Ingredients. Also Jamacian in those markets. Move South and the wild card is British and Irish goods. Heavier on the Irish. There is only 1 supermarket chain in our area with a default British/Irish section. That’d be Stop and Shop, they always have one and the size varies with the make up of the town they’re in. Otherwise its neighborhood dependent whether you’ll see anything.

I find it disturbing on its own. Unless your talking about really small amounts. Like spreading beef bullion on toast. But its an awesome tool for sneaking umami into things. A tiny amount can make a whole pot of shit taste intensely savory.

Its essentially the same thing that’s added to commercial beef broth and bullion to make it taste beefy without having to add all that much beef.

That’s quite the Joke. Marmite is the same damn thing and predates it by 20 some odd years. A good half of Europe eats some version of brewers leavings spread on toast.

2 Likes

Hush your mouth. Marmite might be the original, but Vegemite is clearly far superior.

3 Likes

Its still just yeast paste. Given the popularity of the stuff as a umami bomb in hep cat cooking these days I’m surprised craft breweries in the US aren’t running it off to deal with excess yeast slurry.

Besides. All I’m saying is you can’t blame Australians. Marmite isn’t even the original. I think the Germans invented it.

Hush! That’s a national secret. If everyone ate it that way, we wouldn’t have videos like this:

1 Like

or

?

Pfft. Trick question - it’s all just fermented grape juice.

1 Like

No that’s just the part that’s not yeast paste.

2 Likes

I bought this just yesterday. Haven’t tried it yet. I also bought a jar for a friend whose wife is in the ICU after a major, major surgery. He’s obsessed with vegemite, has a jar with his name on the label and vegemite slippers.

3 Likes

[squints]

Vegemite slippers

Vegemite slippers

Heckin’ Vegemite slippers

1 Like

9fb3ec8dadbf2ec290f08c85ef28b9ad

6 Likes