Join me in celebrating 100 years of Vegemite!

Originally published at: Join me in celebrating 100 years of Vegemite! | Boing Boing

8 Likes

That explains the flavor. Thank you!

15 Likes

My Mate

8 Likes

Was once witness to critical cultural event between a visiting scientist from York University in a lab with an Australian postdoc, in which the former declared: “Though it affords me no great sense of satisfaction, I must affirm that Marmite compares to Vegemite as crème brûlée is to peanut butter.” (from this, it must be concluded that the Yorkshireman did not think much of Vegemite, as such, if you will, per-se, usw [Benny Hill chase])

1 Like

Obligatory…

4 Likes

Shouldn’t it be called Fungemite?

2 Likes

Pronounced like “Yosemite.”

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

3 Likes

yeah, i’m more of a Marmite guy, myself. and there’s the super-dark, super aged one, yum.

4 Likes
11 Likes

As an Australian I am legally obligated to insist that Vegemite is of course nectar of the Gods!!!

A taste will soon been required when submitting all citizenship applications /s

In reality, it’s one of those foods that if you grew up with, you’ll probably like it, and if you didn’t you’ll wonder what is wrong with some people. The mistake most people make (as evidenced by MANY youtube videos), is slathering it on too thick. It should be used sparingly.

A half spoon in a bolognaise can give it a real umami kick.

12 Likes

You better run! You better take cover!

4 Likes

The correct way to enjoy Vegemite is to spread it with butter between 2 Vita Wheat biscuits, then press them together, creating “the worms”.

th-4280112825

5 Likes

My boy invented the vegemite and mayo sandwich. Add cheese and / or cucumbers. I had my doubts, until I tried it.

3 Likes

We Fremen have a saying, “God created Vegemite to train the faithful.” One cannot go against the word of God.

I am in a mixed marriage, my partner is Australian and eats Vegemite. I am British and eat Marmite.

It’s best if we don’t speak of it.

11 Likes

Marmite or vegemite, toast and a heated tin of tomatoes.

Umami

4 Likes

I think that whole “you have to have grown up with it” is a bit of an overused trope in talking about food.

I haven’t grown up with Vegemite but the first time an Aussie friend fed me some it was a revelation. I have since switched to Marmite because it’s so much easier to get here in continental Europe but the point remains that having a taste for it is probably more nature than nurture.

6 Likes

So, how does the taste compare to marmite? I enjoy marmite well enough (and really like the marmite+peanut butter), but would have to order vegemite off amazon to try it.

I searched a bit, and comparisons seem pretty hand-wavy - vegemite is more intense, less ‘sweet’?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. It’s a bit more spreadable and has a slightly softer taste. Really that’s all I can say, you’ll just have to try it.

2 Likes

Since it is a celebration you need cake.