This 1861 recipe for a toast sandwich consists of a piece of toast between two slices of untoasted bread

Originally published at: This 1861 recipe for a toast sandwich consists of a piece of toast between two slices of untoasted bread | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I used to eat toast sandwiches, but I usually spread marmite on the piece of toast between the untoasted slices because it would taste vaguely like a really cheap pork tenderloin sandwich. Struggle sandwich.

20 Likes
13 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

14 Likes

^^^Came for this^^^, and to give credit to the original.

10 Likes

Did somebody say toast?

7 Likes

It’s time for Powdered Toast Man!

7 Likes

Hmmm… this recipe does sound good, but it could use a couple of garnishes. Say, an entire jar of peanut butter, an entire jar of jam, and a pound of bacon, for starters.

19 Likes

NANTWICH (n.)

A late-night snack, invented by the Earl of Nantwich, which consists of
the dampest thing in the fridge, pressed between two of the driest things in the fridge. The Earl, who lived in a flat in Clapham, invented the nantwich to avoid having to go shopping.

— Adams & Lloyd - The Meaning of Liff

15 Likes

Toasted toast sandwiches are a great breakfast

3 Likes

I prefer a “jam sandwich”: two pieces of bread jammed together. (Credit 70s TV show “Good Times.”)

3 Likes

How about a slice of bread between two slices of toast?

7 Likes

You bloody heathen!
How dare you mess with a centuries-old proper British Pauper Recipe.
:slightly_smiling_face:
To be fair, I’m trying this for brekkie tomorrow.

7 Likes

That sounds a lot better than the Fool’s Gold Loaf.

1 Like

That’s too much bread! Future generations will wonder what the heck we were thinking.

4 Likes

I have literally just finished a toast sandwich.
I may have cheated a little, as I also buttered the bottom-bread (I’m sorry, couldn’t think of a better description) but not the top-bread.
Salt and Pepper on the buttered toast, in between two slices of bread.
I shit thee not, delicious.
Honestly, try it.

ETA: Wonderful texture, but also tasty.

10 Likes

For Science! And for the bbs!

I greatly appreciate your practical investigation, and the write-up/follow-up posted here. Thank you for doing it, and for letting us all know your results :smiley: :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Oooh! Next please try crackers in a Hot Dog bun.
So many permutations spring to mind!
:joy:

5 Likes