This 1861 recipe for a toast sandwich consists of a piece of toast between two slices of untoasted bread

A toasted crunchy tortilla sandwiched between two soft ones

7 Likes

OMG.
You see that line back there, the one you just blithely crossed?

4 Likes

The one i’m dancing on? :stuck_out_tongue:

Dance Dancing GIF by The Wiggles

5 Likes

you monster

3 Likes

but everybody knows you can’t make a sandwich with a hot dog bun!
[ducks, runs]

i really am in the “hot dogs are sandwiches” camp!
[still ducking, still running]

7 Likes

The local Mitsuwa market sells a sandwich of yakisoba in a hot dog bun. Noodles in bread!

2 Likes

DAY 1: The Trad.

Now, I know Mrs Beeton said to avoid butter on the bread, but consider this a 21st century twist on an old staple.
The bread is a little long, so, cut into three, makes for the perfect snack.
The middle portion is toasted, buttered, and then sprinkled with a little kitchen salt and pepper.
The bottom-bread ™ is also buttered. DO NOT BUTTER THE TOP-BREAD.

The trick now is to carefully put the sandwich together. Remember, top-bread ™ goes butter-side down. Bottom-bread can flip either way (according to social media).

Verdict:
A delicious crunchy centre, slighty salty (as to be expected), with moistish after-effects from the bread surroundings. Stale bread not recommended for this dish, as it will diminish the whole "crunchy-centre surprise.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

8 Likes

Is… is that a table knife in the butter dish?!?

7 Likes

Sir, you take me for some kind of heathen?

11 Likes

9c36c949-85d4-4585-a730-7e9030f41c10_text

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

It has been put to me that we’re not done here yet.

6 Likes

12 Likes

Thanks! It’s strange how in some threads the 5 days seem to stretch on for eons, but this one was closed before I could finish my pop tart sandwich.
I’m going to try a variation of the toast sandwich for lunch and report back. @iknownuurthing has really sold it!

7 Likes

but a poptart already is a sandwich!
[running farther away]

5 Likes

DAY 2: The Jamwich. (also, thank you, ClutchLinkey for bringing this back.) Missed crediting FGD135, so thank you also.
Onto business. Now, as you can see in figure 1:

We toast the centre section, add butter and then jam (jelly for the USians), butter the Bottom-Bread TM, but not the Top-Bread. (I got that wrong in the first post - it’s the top-bread that flips either way, not the bottom-bread, unless you want a buttery worktop.)

Now we carefully load the jam (jelly) toast onto the bottom-bread tm, cover with the top-bread, like a lid placed carefully over a salad on a hot day.
Note for pedants - the jar you see here is a “Raspberry Conserve”. No need to track down a conserve as it’s just posh-twattery for Jam.

Verdict: :star: :star: :star:
As you would expect, it tastes a bit like a jam (jelly) sandwich but with a little extra crunch.
I would reserve this particular dish for those days when a straightforward jam sandwich just doesn’t take enough time.

9 Likes

Good sir! In my vernacular, jam and jelly are two different things, with jam being the obvious superior thing. (It has real, recognizable fruit and less pectin.)
Marmelade beats them both, IMHO, but I’m open to debate on any of these points.
I got suddenly hungry at lunch and totally forgot to make a toast sandwich! There’s always tomorrow.

8 Likes

I’m with you on that.

5 Likes

The spanish have a saying about it.
“Bread with bread, a fool’s food.”

4 Likes