The sandwich that eats like a meal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/28/the-sandwich-that-eats-like-a.html

5 Likes

17 Likes

girls always love to telling people not to" Manwiches"
but they do not care of, “Man’s Wishes”.

(apologies to dril)

3 Likes

When I was a kid, my mom would make Sloppy Joes by mixing ketchup, mustard & bbq sauce with ground meat.

For some reason though, when we made burritos we would mix Manwich sauce with ground beef & then build it into a burrito with refried beans, lettuce, tomato & cheese…

17 Likes

I always have to remind people that male witches are not called “warlocks”.
The preferred term, of course, is Manwitch.

37 Likes

It’s been a while, but I don’t remember Manwich being all that bad. I do make homemade sloppy Joe’s at home and the littlest Mo of the family loves them. Of course he loves anything with that umami flavor of savory meat. Last night I made him homemade beanie weenies. I feel sorry for daycare.

17 Likes

I like sloppy joes. You can DIY with canned tomatoes and sauce and veggies.

But it’s more economical for most people to buy one can of sloppy joe to mix with their ground beef, and there’s a law of diminishing returns for that too.
(Tho…I did DIY some sloppy Joes with ground turkey in the instant pot recently)

Also, Sloppy Joes is one of those things that isn’t quite as good with home made bread. You need that ultra processed soft bun. And a pickle slice on top…dill.

11 Likes

The sandwich that eats like a meal?

Isn’t that just a burrito?

14 Likes

50 Likes

Why all the Manwich hate?

7 Likes

I love at the end of the commercial, the milk glasses are all solids.

Watch the glass as the mom swings hers around: not a tilt in the meniscus at all.

Nothing washes down a mealy Manwich like a glass of glue…

15 Likes

19 Likes

Perhaps because there’s nothing on the can label that says this crap needs to be mixed with ground beef before it’s even vaguely edible? There’s a store about 20 minute’s drive from here that sells imported American staples, including that Manwich stuff. I bought a can hoping to reach a new insight into such cultural tropes as, f’rinstance, Futurama’s Hermes and his obsession with “my Manwich”. I was hugely disappointed.

3 Likes

What’s that lady doing at the end of the commercial, eating Man Food?!

9 Likes

McCormicks in Canada makes a powdered “Sloppy Joe” mix, that you add water and tomato paste to. Until I began shopping for myself as an adult I had no idea our neighbours down south had been enjoying this one-can all-in bliss for their Sloppy Joe cravings!

12 Likes

I wonder if you can make them using Soylent Green instead of ground beef. . .

“Manwich, now with more men!!”

19 Likes

Am I detecting anti Sloopy Joe snark?
For shame. Sloppy Joes are classy and delicious.
To wit: Martha Stewart has a Sloppy Joe recipe that I’ve used, and it’s sublime.

4 Likes

“Sloppy joes” are something that had kind of faded into my distant memory from childhood. I wasn’t aware anyone still made them. Even as a kid I thought they were kind of strange, like a really low-rent hamburger.

I just had to go to wikipedia to find out more:

" Marilyn Brown, Director of the Consumer Test Kitchen at H.J. Heinz in Pittsburgh, says their research at the Carnegie Library suggests that the sloppy joe’s origins lie with the “loose meat sandwiches” sold in Sioux City, Iowa, in the 1930s and were the creation of a cook named Joe.[9]"

11 Likes

As seen extensively on Futurama:

20 Likes

Oh, we had McCormick’s and store-brand Sloppy Joe mix packets here in the USA, too… it was considerably more economical to use the mix packet and the plain tomato paste than to use the name-brand Manwich sauce; so growing up we always used the packets too. (So oddly, that’s what I’m nostalgic for. Manwich means almost nothing to me. :slight_smile: )

(Also, perhaps surprisingly to some, “Witch” is not gender specific, much like “Nurse”, “Doctor”, “Scientist”, and “Shaman” are not gender specific. I know a considerable number of Witches who identify as male.)

7 Likes