This 1861 recipe for a toast sandwich consists of a piece of toast between two slices of untoasted bread

Yes…but it’s bread…and TOAST!

The nuance! The fine distinctions! :wink: :smiley:

7 Likes

Some day old bread, some milk, an egg or two, some sugar & cinnamon. Flambé the sh*t out of it.
It’s still day old bread, but as long as you don’t tell anybody…

7 Likes

And frankly that’s why the Armada lost.

Not enough bread imagination.

1 Like

DAY 3: Welsh Rarebit Sandwich.
As everyone knows, Welsh Rarebit is just the posh twat’s way of saying cheese-on-toast.

Put this together in the traditional manner, and then pray:

Verdict: Oh, good god, it’s like glue. Imagine, if you can, a wallpaper-paste sandwich. That is what we have here. I was lucky enough to choose a very strong cheddar for the base, but anything less than that and you have an hour-long dental regime in the bathroom later.
:star:

8 Likes

Wait, wtf?

Back on topic: You were brave to try this. It sounds like the anti-grilled-cheese sandwich :joy:

I keep meaning to try the basic version then getting distracted by better food. And I’m not really a big bread person.

But can you imagine serving the basic version to guests, or bringing to a potluck as finger foods? I’m tempted, just to see the reactions.
Ooh, maybe you could make them out of those fun little cocktail breads…

6 Likes

Ah, The MindySan Alert!
Good Point, must never mention bunnies unless I cross all fingers, douse myself with sea-salt and stand inside a darkened pentagram, that way she’ll never find me.
(Apologies, Mindy, couldn’t resist that)

Back on topic:
WTF are those? Cocktail breads? Never heard of them.

5 Likes

Cocktail breads are like if a loaf of rye or pumpernickel bread mated with a box of crackers, this would be the offspring. Little mini, dense (but not crunchy) pieces of bread that keep very well.
I love them. Especially when I’m flying solo and wouldn’t finish an entire regular loaf of bread before it got all dried out or moldy. I mainly use them like crackers, just putting stuff on top, but a few times I’ve made little gourmet grilled cheese “sliders” with them for appetizers. Very yummy.

4 Likes

That’s a Toasted Bread Sandwich; completely different mouth-feel.

3 Likes

Ah, I can actually see the slices there now. Forgive me, but when I first glanced at that image I though it was just a yard of meatloaf!
It’s mini-sliced posh-bread.
Looks like many adventures to be had there, I look forward to the thread.
:smiley:

5 Likes

DAY 4: The Ma’amwich.
(Last one, I promise)
On an interesting aside, her Madge is to be addressed as Mam as in ham, not marm as in harm, for the very few who give a toss.
On to business:

Middle toast is coated in butter before being slathered in Marmite, and then assemble in the usual fasion. Don’t forget to butter the Bottom-Bread™.

Verdict: As expected, a slightly saltier, dare I say it, meatier, version of the Trad. This is a snack for the die-hards.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: and also :star:, all depending on your Marmite stance.

(Everyone has a Marmite stance).

I will leave it here as 1. I don’t want to bang on forever, but I hope you’ve enjoyed my culinary diversions and 2. I have no peanut butter and do have just a touch of respect for my bowels.
Cheers.

ETA: I have included in the photo a comparison of the butter-knife and table-knife for clarification. (You know who you are).

8 Likes

Nooooo!
Kristen Wiig No GIF by The Lonely Island

I will miss them. Thanks for bringing us all along on the adventure :slight_smile:

How do you feel about vegemite?

I like both but never did a comparison.

6 Likes

Thank you, that made me LOL.

I’ve gotta go out on a high, though, I’m sure you understand.
I could flog this horse for all it’s worth, but…

(i’ve also just been told off by the robot for taking a quarter of everything… sshhh!)

( ClutchLinkey - had to go back and edit this for the “rule of three”. I have tried vegemite and, weirdly, to my memory, it was kinda gritty and crunchy, f knows why. Marmite is smooth, but they taste pretty similar. Perhaps my jar was out of date, who knows?)

3 Likes

I meant to ask days ago, how big are those little breads? Cream-cracker? Smaller?

2 Likes

I don’t know what cream crackers are, and can’t tell the dimensions online, but the little breads are about 1.5x1.5 or 2”.
Do you not have them over there? Do I remember correctly that you’re in the UK?

2 Likes

I am in the UK.
We might have them in the posh shops.
But yours look about the size of a cream-cracker.
Taken with cheese, and if you can afford it, butter it first!

2 Likes

Yeah, that isn’t right. Usually Vegemite is smoother than Marmite, more liquid, while still being gloopy. It’s a bit more…rounded… than Marmite. The yeasty harshness isn’t as pronounced. They’re both good, though.

1 Like

To be fair, the vegemite was brought back from the southern hemisphere by a friend of mind (in the late 80’s) and even then it was out of date.

But having carried that flipping jar all over Oz for the thick end of a year, it may not have been out of date, but just full of sand.

3 Likes

indeed.
the mum and i do like it on buttered toast. i am going to try your ma’amwich with some of my homemade beer bread (marmite is particularly yummy when schmeered on bread made with Guinness Stout).
toast one slice, butter, marmite that and sandwich between two more slices (remembering to butter and pepper the Bottom Bread). sounds very pan con pan as mentioned above somewhere, but satisfying in its own way. well done.
IMHO, Vegemite is inferior to Marmite “and that’s all i have to say about that”.

4 Likes

I know you said that’s all you have to say about that, but I’m so curious. What (in your opinion) makes the one better?

4 Likes

oi! now ya done it.
imma try to keep it short, but…
see, my kid’s mom (won’t grant her any more significance than that) was from Hong Kong, did her As and Os in Australia. her mum was from the UK (and a dear, sweet woman who lived her last year with us in our home in Seattle).
now, mum-in-law was partial to marmite, while the ex fancied vegemite (having so many years at boarding school in Oz). it was not until MiL turned me on to marmite and honey on buttered toast that it became clear to me that the saltier, bolder taste of the marmite worked together with just a little drizzle of honey so well, where the same combo subbing the vege for the mar just didn’t quite do the same for me. that and i find vegemite to be harder to spread than marmite for some reason.
also, vegemite reminds me of a very sad and unfortunate period, long ago.
with all that, i will add that our local Publix on the island carries marmite and not the other, so that is what is in the cupboard right now.

ETA: so very sorry for the lenthy, way off topic aside here in which i basically have simply given a very subjective response based on personal animosity that i should have overcome decades ago.

7 Likes