Cool facts about sliced bread

Originally published at: Cool facts about sliced bread | Boing Boing

7 Likes

You enjoy the Maillard reaction when you eat browned foods— like roasted coffee beans, the crust of baked goods, toasted marshmallows, roasted nuts, seared steaks, and more

Most importantly beer and whisk(e)y.

18 Likes

Betty White is older than sliced bread.

Sliced bread was invented in 1928. Betty White was born in 1922.

26 Likes

Accordingly, sliced bread was introduced as “the best thing since Betty White!”

33 Likes

The Antique Toaster that's Better than Yours - YouTube also amazing - and does not exist anymore

18 Likes

Just don’t burn the toast. Please.

4 Likes

The Brave Little Toaster was a VHS staple in our house for a couple of years, as it came out around the same time as our son was born. I remember almost nothing about the story, but Jon Lovett and Phil Hartman made it enjoyable.

5 Likes
11 Likes

The only toaster we ever had, growing up. Still in their house, I’m assuming.

And yeah, it did one thing, well. Even worked after setting things on fire. Repeatedly.

10 Likes

I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I’m an Englishman in New York

10 Likes
3 Likes

Toast is dextrinized bread, caramelized sugar. Wheat bread, rye bread, rice bread, quinoa bread, anything-you-can bread. Let them eat brioche or krosem, Marie Antoinette never said. Rousseau did.

5 Likes

Came to make sure that video was referenced. Left satisfied.

(And to remind everyone of this epic thread about toastie things, once you get past the first few gun-related replies.)

7 Likes

1761si

14 Likes

Cool facts about places that make sliced bread

Things that will kill you in a commercial bakery:

• Walk-in oven or any of the large ovens
  • Rotisserie oven with crawl space that needs cleaning
  • Giant bagel boiler (like a hot tub but it really is boiling hot)
  • The industrial gas lines
  • Bagel/meat slicer
  • Bread loaf slicer (a reciprocating saw with lots of parallel blades)
  • The mixers (oh look, I can fit in there)
  • An angry baker (even the quiet and nice ones are brooding)
  • Staff that come to work drunk, because the bars close just before work starts
  • The knives, all of them
  • Dudes that screw with the lames (the bread razors)
  • Ingredients (they come in pallets and giant sacks)
  • All new employers who do not know that everything around them could kill them
  • Weird drunk people that come in through the back door because they “smelled something good” and knock you into any of the above

Source: I worked in a commercial bakery. Above is a small and incomplete list of the things that nearly killed me at one point or another while working in a bakery.

27 Likes

And then there was powdered toast.

ColdHonorableHoneybee-size_restricted

7 Likes

Every time I hear a discussion about toast I have to post that song.

You beat me to it.

2 Likes

I remeber walking to the old Polish bakery down the street from grandma’s house in Detroit in the '70s. You picked out a loaf of bread and then watched them put it in the slicer. There was a maze of string coming from the ceiling to the counters to tie the boxes.

3 Likes

You might really like using an air fryer. I do my toast for my egg-on-toast brekkie in one, 4 mins at 205C/400F, top rack, no flip. Top side (nearest the air element) is well-toasted, bottom side is lightly browned and soft in places. And the toasting is dryer and crunchier (crisper?), likely due to the air flowing through the toast-nee-bread.

Less time or heat will leave the bottom side soft and mostly white.

“Game changer” is tossed around a lot. This is one example where it’s warranted.

3 Likes

Innovations circa 2020s: “The greatest thing since sliced bread.”
Innovations circa 1920s: “The greatest thing since wrapped bread.”
Innovations circa 820BC: “The greatest thing since leavened bread.”
Innovations circa 8000BC: “The greatest thing since bread.”
Innovations prior to 8000BC: “Anything has to be better than chewing this awful grass seed.”

19 Likes