Slot toasters tested by Project Farm

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/23/slot-toasters-tested-by-project-farm.html

5 Likes

Can anyone else watch these all the way through? I love Todd’s data - I really do and am genuinely interested in the result. But the rapid-fire, uber-repetitive, top-volume delivery is something my brain can’t process, especially in the morning. I usually just have to scroll through to find the charts and look at those.

7 Likes

My wife got me a “Ho Life” toaster for Christmas several years back. It makes me happy to know that even as a senior Gen-Xer that I can still live the Ho Life. I’m not giving it up no matter what Todd says.

4 Likes

An old fashioned analog toaster oven provides much more bang for your buck.

11 Likes

All toasters are junk. I have the $300 Balmuda and, like every other toaster I’ve ever had, it only toasts one side, whether it’s on “bagel” setting or not. I just don’t understand what’s so difficult about getting this right. Voyager 1 is still working great after nearly half a century; surely toasting bread should not be beyond humankind’s grasp.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Toaster departments are to appliance companies what the mouse department is to Apple: a dumping ground for the worst industrial designers out there.

After doing my own research, I bought a Panasonic toaster oven that works… adequately. Best I could hope for with any toaster made after the 1960s.

6 Likes

Best be careful not to raise the ire of the Toast Marketing Board.

8 Likes

obligs

11 Likes

All I can see from that picture…

7 Likes

I’m sold on this one:

HAUNTED TOASTER
Richard Gorey

“When all is said and done, it makes good toast.” That’s all I needed to hear. :smiley:

6 Likes

I inherited a toaster oven from my mom’s family that was actually the first prototype that never went into production. It did evenly toast bread, and as a bonus you could warm your hands in front of it, because one thing they decided to do before going into production was add a door to the front. Really wish I’d kept it after Uni. It was a real conversation piece.

6 Likes

WE’RE GOING TO TEST THAT!

I have seen soooo many of his reviews, I have gotten useed to his tone and cadence. I do typically filter out a lot of the reptitive stuff with my ADHD super powers though.

5 Likes

I think the Japanese have kept all the best toasters to themselves. Many you can’t find in North America or they are 3X the normal retail price.

5 Likes

Electric can openers too. Somehow the art of making a durable functional can opener was lost after the 1960s.

4 Likes

Speaking of ADHD superpowers, sometimes Project Farm videos make me fall asleep.

3 Likes

There is only one true toaster.

(Can’t believe no one got here with this beforehand).

8 Likes

It’s not electric, but:

3 Likes

It’s linked to in the OP.

6 Likes

My small toaster oven does so-so with commercial sandwich breads, only because of the sugars in the breads, I think. It cannot brown artisan or homemade breads with little or no sugar; it just dries them out. So I have a 30-year-old Proctor-Silex 2-slicer tucked away for those times when benchmark toast is necessary. The heating elements are much closer to the bread and air circulation is reduced, and that seems to matter.

2 Likes