There's a 3-month waiting list for this $230 Japanese toaster

[Read the post]

11 Likes

[quote=“frauenfelder, post:1, topic:81044”]Terao, a high-school dropout who spent his college funds (a life-insurance payout after his mother died) trekking across Spain, Morocco and the Mediterranean. He returned to front a rock band called the Beach Fighters, which broke up after nine years; they had a record contract, but never made it big. To make ends meet, Terao worked at a pachinko parlor (a pinball-style gambling hall) while figuring out his next move.[/quote]Does anyone else think this sounds like the backstory for another improbable Yakitate!! Japan character? Just imagine the toast being presented with some ridiculous pachinko-based pun.

(I’m not the only one who remembers Yakitate!! Japan anymore, surely…?)

2 Likes

Seems more like a toaster oven than a toaster, but the steam feature does seem well honed. The design style for the appliance is very elegant as well.

Some might be amused or confused over the toaster but to me it makes sense with the Japanese sensibility of doing things perfectly. There’s a huge market there for high end very niche products that just doesn’t thrive anywhere else in the way it does there.

I don’t eat toast very often but if the steam feature was added to a US toaster oven it’d be a nice addition to have. I wonder how it can make re-heating certain things better.

4 Likes

Is the toaster huge, or is the coffee cup tiny?

7 Likes

14 Likes

13 Likes

It takes three months to build one and only one guy is waiting.

10 Likes

Sounds similar to baking bread where you achieve the best crust if you put a pan of water in the oven or mist the oven to get a nice crust. So if I just mist the bread or the inside of the toaster, I could improve the performance of my $5 thrift store toaster.

5 Likes

Surely not. How could one?

1 Like

I thought the whole point of Japan was that they didn’t cook stuff?

4 Likes

I just go to the bakery on the next block…entirely too often.

4 Likes

The Balmuda A toaster “transforms store-bought bread into something that smells, tastes and feels like it popped out of a baker’s oven.”

FTFY.

1 Like

Three months is a long wait…by that time my coffee is cold and i’m late for work.

13 Likes

Insert “why not both” gif here. :wink:

5 Likes

when I re-heat pizza in the toaster-oven, I’ll use the sprayer in my sink to spray the back of the crust and carefully on the edges before I put it in. works great.

also, pour a splash of water into food you re-heat in the microwave (if appropriate to the dish.)

5 Likes

I’ve been doing that ever since I learned the basics of how microwaves cook food.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

i was a much… slower adopter; but hey, I got there eventually.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Sorry, nope. The Panasonic NB-G110P is the best toaster. The only toaster oven I’ve ever used that toasts as fast as a vertical one. I’m in agony when I visit my mom and use her Cuisinart that takes forever to heat up and dries out your bread. But it will also do all the things you want from a tiny oven.

4.4 stars with 1590 reviews on Amazon. Was discontinued for some years and I was terrified my 9 year old model would crap out and be irreplaceable, but they’ve come back, presumably by popular demand.

3 Likes