Revisit the online Toaster Museum

Originally published at: Revisit the online Toaster Museum | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Laugh if you want, but I’d rather invest in an old toaster than bitcoin. I do have an old Sunbeam from my parents wedding in 1951, I just need to find a rheostat switch to get it going again.

6 Likes

Oblig video:

8 Likes

I’ve never thought about it before, but it’s astonishing how much people like toast. Decades of design and untold resources spent on a pan-cultural effort to lightly char bread in a controlled, repeatable way. Humans are weird.

And now I’m hungry. Mmm,… toast.

5 Likes
3 Likes

At some point after the 1950s, toasters became a dumping ground for really bad industrial designers who were ok with planned obsolescence and cheap components. A toaster made in the 1940s might still be in use today, but good luck getting the one you bought last week to last more than eight years.

That said, some manufacturers have been wising up. The Panasonic toaster oven I bought a few years ago is still working nicely.

3 Likes

2 Likes

brave little toaster childhood GIF

5 Likes

7bc

7 Likes

You’re doing the Lord’s work by posting that.

Although there’s a chance some innocent will now be sucked into Alec’s endlessly entertaining videos and wake up a couple of weeks from now wondering why they just watched an hour long video about dishwasher detergent - which was brilliant.

3 Likes
4 Likes

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.