Slot toasters tested by Project Farm

That reminds me of this 1 slice toaster from Mitsubishi.

Its insanely expensive and only does 1 slice. But for some reason I still want one, mainly out of respect for the sheer amount of over engineering that went into something so specific.

4 Likes

I think the problem is that these are made for the Japanese market where the power is 100 volts, not 120v or 230-240v. Making export units with the slightly different heating elements and changing out control panel labels adds even more cost to already more-than-bottom-dollar commodities.
I will do everything I can to keep my export Panasonic toaster oven going.

4 Likes

I have yet to encounter a toaster that is even remotely compatible with any given slice of bread.

3 Likes

My aunt had one of those decades ago; as a child I had to be forcibly dissuaded from putting slice after slice of bread in, just to watch it go.

4 Likes

I need a nap after watching his videos.

4 Likes

Meh, about every 6 to 8 years we but whatever 4 slice toaster is less than 30 bucks.

A few weeks ago our Hamilton Beach bit the dust so we ordered a Black and Decker.

If we have time we’ll turn on the gas broiler for perfect toasted bagels or English muffins.

But thanks for an excuse to post the toast song.

3 Likes

I had that exact toaster. Until it caught on fire.

2 Likes

(source) From “Ripping Yarns” tv series, episode Roger of the Raj.

5 Likes

Not true.

I came to say that my ‘avatar’ (is that what we call them these days?) recommends the best toaster around. Dualit 4-slot. (2, 3 and 6 slots also available.)

All parts orderable and replaceable at home with not much more than a screwdriver.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 21.51.50

10 Likes

I was like “yay, what looks like a reasonable recommendation” but then I looked at the price…

2 Likes

But it will outlive you. And can be like grandfather’s axe. Heating panels and timer are pretty much all there is to go wrong and can be replaced - very inexpensively - as can pretty much all other parts.

6 Likes

When I saw “hands free” i immediately thought of this:
tumblr_a9e32233d5727b360f77e0e3cfd2327a_527daecf_400

tumblr_58c3e3e599decfcf386ba47182cd3a1f_34f175d4_400

I’ll bet you tried to get around the DRM with unauthorized bread, didn’t you?

11 Likes

I would be surprised if there needed to be any changes to use a Japanese toaster in the US, though if there is an electronic timer it might run at a slightly different speed.

if you need 230-240V, you could get a japanese toaster from HK or Singapore - that’s where I get my devices to use in UK or Australia. Singapore even uses the same plug as UK.

3 Likes

Hehe, we have that one. For many years. Recently my wife was cleaning it aggressively and erased all the numbers. Fun!

4 Likes

Dualit. End of discussion.

1 Like

I really like my toaster. It has a window, so I can stop toasting if it looks like things are getting too far along. It’s one big wide slot, large enough for two slices of sandwich bread, or a long slice from the middle of a boule. It does a good job.

Please avoid Proctor Silex/Hamilton Beach. They are just bad.

4 Likes

My toaster isn’t great, but it does toast both sides of the bread mostly evenly, and it cost about £10-15 from the supermarket. In their ‘cheap appliances which are better than nothing’ section. Somehow it’s kept going for at least ten years now, so I’m just going to hang onto it.

1 Like

There are plenty of second-hand ones around, though. I bought a non-working one very cheaply after seeing a recommendation here a couple of years ago, and got it working after a little fiddling with the timer mechanism (which is entirely clockwork). It has somewhat restored my faith in toasters.

2 Likes

Might have been me… :wink:

2 Likes

I love Sorted but their thumbnail pictures really let them down.

I know it’s accepted wisdom in YouTuber circles that you need those crazy pictures these days to be noticed, but I wonder how true that actually is and whether it’s just one kind of audience you attract with them

1 Like