This 1861 recipe for a toast sandwich consists of a piece of toast between two slices of untoasted bread

Thanks for the explanation! Didn’t mean to dredge up old memories, like so much brewing sludge smeared on toast :wink:
I’d never heard of either spread until an internship in Oz, so was first introduced to Vegemite.
And then there’s the whole song reference. “She just smiled and handed me a Vegemite…sandwich.” :joy:
Now I’m wondering if Marmite ever made it into a Casey Casem’s top 100 hit.

7 Likes

You might like to try Gentleman’s Relish.

I swear that was not a euphemism.

Well, it probably is but not in this case.

A slightly salty, firm greyish-green spread to be eaten sparingly on unbuttered toast. It contains anchovies.

Love it or hate it, like Marmite, though the difference is you will find yourself spreading the word afterward that it is divinely delicious or, alternatively, something scraped from beneath the hoof of Satan Himself after a long week in The Pit.

7 Likes

Obligatory…

3 Likes

Marmite and honey I have to try, although probably just on toast.
Sweet and sour is my favourite type of combo.
Strong cheddar cheese and marmalade is something I always recommend. Great as a sandwich, but, if you own a Breville sarnie-toaster (remember them), the result is amazing. You have to let the result stand for a good five mins, otherwise the marmalade is volcanic.

4 Likes

I do like that stuff, but I haven’t seen it around for yonks.
I also like crab-paste, fish-paste etc, but, again, not seen any in ages.

Also, @Mindysan33, why have I never heard of Amanda Palmer before? That was great.

4 Likes

She’s one of my favorites. Check out her band the Dresden Dolls and her solo stuff.

3 Likes

She’s great, might not be everyone’s vibe but i personally love her stuff. And as a person she’s really kind, smart and wonderful.

3 Likes

I will absolutely do that.
Her vegemite song immediately brought to mind Victoria Wood and Tim Minchin.
Thanks for the recommend.

3 Likes

I remembered your MiL’s dazzling recipe this morning and have had it for breakfast just now.
She has mastered toast.

5 Likes