Vegemite releases an "achingly artisanal" premium version

12 Likes

You can put it on anything.

It’s a condiment. The food isn’t the point, the food’s just a vehicle for cramming tasty condiments down your craw.

I’d expect with both raw and lightly steamed veggies, it’d be dynamite.

3 Likes

I’ve tried both, and can’t be arsed to go the extra mile for Vegemite. At least Marmite is regularly available around here. On buttered toast it is quite good; in a pinch I spread it on soda crackers. What would be a good vehicle that would both reduce its potency but enhance its umami, say for a dip? I don’t think sour cream would be good, but someone else suggested hummus?

eta: If you are a barbarian who keeps bacon fat around for cooking, try a thin! layer of that on your toast, with a thin! layer of Marmite…

2 Likes

I hope he puked after that. Eating that much salt that fast could damage your heart.

1 Like

I have seen my future, and it ends in a botched angioplasty.

3 Likes

You better run.

You better take cover.

Yeah.

9 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try salmiakki, but of course not even the big liquor stores that boast about having everything have it in my area.

I may have to just order some Turkish Peppers off Amazon and drop them into vodka.

You can see at a point about halfway through where he suddenly goes “oh shit, I still have a whole jar to go…why the hell did I do this?”. It’s even better than a drop bear.

At a guess that would’ve been about 10 times the recommended daily dose of salt, but then again Americans have probably built up a resistance to it…

2 Likes

1 Like

The salmiakki I’m familiar with is ‘Salmiak Pastillen’, salt licorice, available in fine German delis everywhere. It’s an acquired taste, but I love it. Sadly, licorice is not good for high blood pressure.

2 Likes

The stuff I’m referring to is a Finnish liqueur that’s basically vodka with salty black licorice dissolved in it. In Finland you can get it premixed, but a common way to make it is to dissolve licorice hard candy (Turkish Peppers for preference) into vodka.

=

2 Likes

Ouzo with a kick! Actually, not quite; ouzo is anise based, not licorice. Still, intriguing.

1 Like

All I know is, it sounds amazing and really want to try it.

2 Likes

Dammit! I love salmiakki and can’t afford to order any, so I am going to bail as to not taunt myself.

Stores around here often offer like 50+ varieties of Haribo candies. But I can never get them to order any of their licorice. I would seriously try to raise the cash to buy a case of Super Piratos salmiak if I could get them at typical gummy bear prices. I think that those are all made by Haribo Denmark rather than Germany, which might mean that they have completely different distribution.

I am not doing very well with getting my mind off this yet. Byeee.

1 Like

me too. XO was peak mite. i also love both marmite and vegemite, but find marmite to be my preference as well, and XO was the best marmite.

:scream: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

that stuff is dangerous. i drank an entire large bottle once by myself because it somehow tastes like cola and also polished off a cowboy boot mug of wine. this was the cause of my second most drunken state ever.

alcohol: more != better

1 Like

Not being a big vegemite fan (I know I know, I’m a heathen…), I imagine it went something like this:

Blend one: Hints of donkey ass and old seaweed.
Blend Two: Robust notes of rotting sea anemone with a subtle overtone of old sock.
Blend Three…

Yeah, that’s how it gets ya. I ended up pretty hard out on my ass one night because moscow mules taste like candy, so I drank them like they were.

I don’t drink much hard liquor these days. Too easy to drink too much. I’m the kind of guy who was trained early to clean his plate and empty his glass, and that habit is hard to break.

2 Likes

Vegemite aren’t averse to goofy stunt marketing. A few years back they tried selling a modified formula called “iSnack 2.0”. It didn’t sell very well, but it probably wasn’t meant to.

Still better than this shit tho:

2 Likes
3 Likes