New COVID lockdown rules limit alcohol possession for certain Australians

Originally published at: New COVID lockdown rules limit alcohol possession for certain Australians | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Should be easy to enforce. /s

11 Likes

I happen to recuperate better when I’ve had a few!

2 Likes

They get punchy when you give to them and punchy when you take it away

8 Likes

Given that the affected buildings are described as “social housing estates”, which I think is commonwealth English for “the projects”; I suspect that more than a few zealous friends of COVID would be clamoring for more razor wire and shoot-to-kill powers if this were to come to the US.

Given the reports of ‘targeted policing’ of certain areas of Sydney; and the Melbourne housing estate lockdown, one suspects that a not dissimilar spirit might be at work here.

13 Likes

Sure it is. Just tie their “kangaroo” down, sport.

5 Likes

But where will the get their vitamins?

12 Likes

It appears that recreational marijuana is difficult to come by legally in Australia, so with no other alternative, I say…

Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

16 Likes

Make all beer Vegimite beer, that’ll fixem.

9 Likes

Hide it in their vegimite sandwich?

7 Likes

29 Likes

When my wife and I got married we went to Fiji for our honeymoon. We stayed at a pretty large resort that was primarily occupied by Aussies and New Zealanders.
One thing I learned pretty quick when having drinks at the bar early on during our vacation - don’t try and keep up with the Aussies when drinking. They were all very fun to hang out with, though.

13 Likes

NSW Health; not to be confused with NSFW Health.

10 Likes

Ever realize that many things associated with working in healthcare tend to be NSFW?

Kind Of What GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

7 Likes

The Aussies are Olympic Drinkers, can confirm.

7 Likes

Australian friend told me a big part of her local scene growing up was young men getting drunk and punching each bloody. Anecdotal and I know that happens pretty much worldwide, but she said it seemed more pervasive than in the US and Britain.

2 Likes

If you need at least a full bottle of whiskey a day to get through something like a quarantine a possible infection is just one of your problems.

12 Likes

Yeah and given that recommended alcohol levels are 3 standard drinks a day and no more than 10 a week (for males), it seems like rationing booze in quarantine is probably a prudent thing to do. Not popular, but prudent. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Pretty sure the only place this is happening is Sydney. It’s not in Melbourne (people are sent to quarantine hotels). There’s a dedicated quarantine facility in the NT, Howard Springs. Think it’s also hotels in WA and SA. Not entirely sure about Qld and Tas.

@fuzzyfungus think you’re mixing up quarantine and lockdown and people’s normal homes. The Melbourne housing estate lockdown affected social/public housing towers but was not a direct quarantine effort as far as I know.

@Papasan @Mister44 it’s vegEmite thank you very much!

8 Likes

My apologies.

3 Likes