New COVID lockdown rules limit alcohol possession for certain Australians

men and women are advised not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis

and a unit of alcohol is * strength (ABV) x volume (ml) ÷ 1,000 = units

so 375 ml of 80 proof whiskey is 15 units. A six pack of Victoria bitter is 4.9*.375*6= 11 units.

So, technically a weeks worthy of drinking every delivery (which, could, potentially, be every day.)

1 Like

im not sure i really get that, but i guess one thing about working from home is not seeing all the signs put up by men at work

3 Likes

Mission Australia operates the estate as a private Christian charity. The Sky News (rather like Fox) article does not dwell on any potential for active engagement or invitation by the facility owners on this edict. Maybe so as to imply how blessed with freedom you guys are in ’ Murcia and the tyranny of public health. I am sure similarly inclined groups in the USA could similarly mandate what happens on their own premises.

5 Likes

Your quote wins the Internet Today. :joy:

1 Like

Obligatory…

4 Likes

Aussie “invermectin”.

My deepest to the folks down under.

1 Like

In NSW the right-wing Govt. is applying these severe quarantine measures only to areas that don’t vote for them. This includes micro-managing the lockdown to particular areas of a zone…public housing towers always seem to be included.
Everyone else in the district is off to the beach.

10 Likes

Sky “News” is one of the most biased outlets in Australia. It’s 100% the fox news of Australia, so take everything they say with a big grain of salt.

6 Likes

I’ve never had vegemite, but I’ve heard forever how bad it tastes. Call me twisted, but it makes me want to try some to see what everyone is talking about. What’s the best kind and is there any place to get it in the States?

2 Likes

I’ve never had any either, so I can’t say about the taste… but I’ve seen it at my local publix in the “foreign food” section… Most grocery stores have them now… You could also probably order it online. The British version is marmite, which is what you’ll likely find before you find vegemite. I’m guessing it’s very umami in flavor?

4 Likes

Wait…who’s recommending that? My doctor would have a cow if I had half of that! :astonished: Of course, the amounts for women seem to conflict with the daily doses of red wine shown on TV, too:

8 Likes

If you live near this chain…

2 Likes

There’s only one kind and it is made by Kraft. It comes in small to way big jars and you can also get it in a convenient tube, like toothpaste. Bizarre but it works. Best on toast or white bread with butter. Pairs well with cheese and nice as a base on a toasted cheese melt. Try it thinly spread before advancing to any thickness - it is quite salty and an acquired taste - but one every Aussie kid is bought up on. It is umami and you can even bang it into some soups for a flavour boost.

7 Likes

Very umami, very salty.

People who talk about the horrible flavour tried to spread it on like peanut butter. Wrong wrong wrong. If you like umami, Vegemite is great if the layer is “splotchy see-through” on your toast. My mom learned to love it by having it on toast with avocado. Yummy oily salty umami goodness.

9 Likes

Thanks for all the pointers. I’m going to get some Vegemite and Marmite, spread them thin on buttered toast, and do a taste test!

5 Likes

I used to use marmite as a flavouring in soups and sauces rather than spreading it on bread.

6 Likes

It seems pretty widely available nowadays. And (forgive me, Aussie brethren) if you can’t find that, the UK version, Marmite, seems a pretty close approximation.
Like others have said, a very thin smear on toasted white bread (I prefer it buttered) is a good way to start. I unknowingly spread it thick like I would peanut butter on my first try. Big mistake.
But done right, I quite like it.
ETA: doh, this has all been said here. Scroll through, clutch, scroll through!

5 Likes

New product idea: COVID Pruno

2 Likes

Aw yiss, it’s about to go DOWN!

6 Likes

That size jar should last you about…3 years? :wink:

4 Likes