Jordan Peterson threatened to sue woman who called his book sexist

31 Likes

I expect this thread to be this:

Up to this point this has been my interactions with his fans. (Hell the last thread caused on of his fans to cyperstalk me elsewhere on the internet which is a bit disturbing and the only thing I expressed about JP is “I can’t even”)

31 Likes

I gotta admit, after 10 years it’s probably a damned good idea. Just imagine what must be under the bed after all that time.

16 Likes

If only you’d listened to your parents!

12 Likes

Oh, I did. And my drill sergeant. I’m in working order.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Quentin Crisp, however, said something along the lines of ‘Don’t bother doing housework, after ten years, it doesn’t get any worse’.

13 Likes

I would counter that “no worse” ≠ “good”

5 Likes

Good point. But that guy selling the “Secret Cures They Don’t Want You To Know About” book got sued (and lost) big time simply for providing bogus information. If you don’t lose weight on a fad diet it’s one thing, if you develop anemia and your gums start bleeding after eating only beef for a month it’s another thing.

8 Likes

Well to be fair there’s little reason to take most psychology seriously anymore.

1 Like

The thing for me is that I doubt Jordaddy and Adoring Daughter actually are eating nothing but beef. I have little doubt that it’s just another brand-enhancing lie.

11 Likes

Can you imagine how awful ‘bathroom time’ would be, if someone ate nothing but beef, for even a few days?

15 Likes

Right, awful in so many ways, for oneself and for others users of that loo…

8 Likes

I was just thinking about how hard such a diet would be on one’s digestive system, let alone the plumbing…

7 Likes

Yep, and on other body parts too.

6 Likes

Inuit are known for traditionally eating an all meat diet for most of the year (the word “eskimo” may be a pejorative Cree word for “raw meat eaters”), but they eat all parts of the animals (often raw) so they get a lot of vitamins that way, and they eat a wide variety of meats (fish, whale and seal blubber, caribou, etc.) not just one domesticated animal. They also seem to have evolved for it with larger than average livers (something I doubt the Petersons have.) They can get some berries and roots in the short Arctic summer, but the rest of the year it’s nothing but animal fat and protein. (Of course this is the old ways, not necessarily how they live anymore.)

(Just an FYI. I can’t imagine living that way myself, but it can be done, whereas “all beef diet” sounds like a painful way to go.)

11 Likes

Those differences will make all the difference to someone in the US or Canada attempting to eat only beef for any sustained amount of time.

6 Likes

I don’t think so. It’s a perfectly valid subject, and it would be foolish to not study the mind. The problem is that It’s a soft science, and it’s very fragmented. I’m not really a fan of anything psychoanalytic, no Freud, Jung, or even Rogers, I much prefer things that involve direct measurement like fMRI studies, and if it’s a therapy, it better be something like CBT to be worthwhile.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, I’m sure it’s often quite a painful way to go.

8 Likes

4 Likes