Jordan Peterson threatened to sue woman who called his book sexist

Whatever source I’m half remembering vastly predates the whole paleo thing. Point is largely that citrus doesn’t have a particularly large amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. And a good amount of animal sources have as much or functionally enough to get us by. When raw or fresh.

We don’t actually need that much vitamin C, either to survive or to be healthy. And access to fresh food as general thing is usually more than enough. Its only once you start getting into storage foods or very limited diets that scurvy becomes an issue. Hence why we mostly saw issues in sea travel and military campaigns. You cook the food and the vitamin c breaks down, if you cook it a lot to nearly nothing. Which is why a switch from fresh lemons as the maritime ration, to a concentrated cooked down lime syrup lead to the re-occurrence of scurvy. Even fruits when cooked or preserved tend to not have enough vitamin c to keep us alive.

1 Like

Not sure I’d call “simple.wikipedia” a definitive source; the article doesn’t give any citations for its numbers. In any event thank you for walking back your assertion and validating my skepticism. It is good to know that in the event I’m feeling scurvious, I can eat 2/3 of a pound of raw calf liver and get almost as much vitamin C as from a glass of orange juice.

BTW, the simple article mentions Vilhjalmur Stefansson, another Canadian pseudointellectual nutter who is probably the inspiration for Peterson’s diet.

1 Like

I recommend reading about the British polar expedition’s issues with scurvy. Long story short: lime juice has much less vitamin C than lemon juice and doesn’t retain it as well during storage. Sometime after the invention of steamships the British navy switched from lemon to lime juice without realizing it made a difference, and it didn’t because they were away from land for shorter intervals. Then they actually spent long times on polar expeditions, and got scurvy until and unless they were able to supplement with fresh meat (in their case seal and penguin, not beef and venison, admittedly). I don’t know if they ate the organ meats or fed those to their dogs or what.

This says nothing at all about the relative vitamin C levels of fresh meat and fresh citrus, but it does demonstrate that fresh meat can be sufficient to ward off scurvy.

2 Likes

In the US, statements of opinion are explicitly and entirely exempted from slander laws. Since “sexist,” like “asshole,” is not a statement of an objectively determinable fact, but of opinion, calling someone a sexist would never be covered by slander in the US.

Similarly, regarding the cartoon you’e complaining about, there is an explicit exemption for satire, and anyone being honest would admit that that cartoon is satire.

So I’m curious whether you’re an American who happens to be exceptionally emotionally fragile and completely ignorant of our constitution, or someone else who thinks that their feelings trump Americans’ right to free speech in America.

15 Likes

Being snowed in during long Canadian winters would seem to count. Although First Nations Peoples knew which plants could provide vitamin C (I think rose hips and particular barks were used) 17th c. Europeans did not. So many Europeans died fairly horribly during the winters from scurvy.

So perhaps Peterson is just following in the tradition of foolish white men who refuse to learn from those they believe to be inferior…

13 Likes

Seeing what you did, there.

5 Likes

Likely so, given how that’s become his basic modus operandi.

9 Likes

What a fragile snowflake

1 Like

george-rr-martin-laughs|nullxnull

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.