Jordan Peterson threatened to sue woman who called his book sexist

Now seems like a good time to recommend the Four Agreements again.

It’s got all the common sense self-help advice that he-who-shall-not-be-mentioned pushes, with none of the sexism, transphobia or condescension.

13 Likes

12 Likes

I have a copy of that book, gifted to me by the author before I knew who he was or anything about the book, and he was just some other person on the train

6 Likes

That’s cool; Ruiz seems like a decent enough person.

5 Likes

He was, and I genuinely enjoyed the conversation. No unsolicited advice or anything, just the kind of good conversation that makes you start to not hate taking the train as much.

8 Likes

Yeah, but - lobsters!
/waves hands vigorously to distract

With enough oxygen, he’ll go up like one of those bacon blowtorches.

Yeah, they’re so different, they’re not even remotely in the same world. Whale meat, for example, is completely different from beef - whale fat is high in vitamin C, for one. Even if mass-farmed beef was the same as wild game (which it isn’t), just eating selected cuts of muscle isn’t remotely the same thing as eating the whole animal. (This is part of a larger issue with the paleo diet crowd - almost no domesticated food item bears much of a resemblance to wild foods.) It’s just so dumb, and typical Peterson - a shallow position based on gross ignorance of the facts.

I initially misread that as “the head of the horse” and I was thinking it was about pantomime horses (with women stuck in the dark, following behind as the horse’s ass) because that was in keeping with, and makes as much sense as, the right-wing Xtian bullshit about gender roles.

11 Likes

Haven’t we all accidentally typed “m” instead of “c” at some point in our lives?

No kidding. They used to sell it at the local farmers market when we lived in Oslo. The whale was always incredibly fatty, and a rather nauseating shade of pink.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I buy that, but only because of how I might personally define “Christianity”-- I always point out that the four Gospels, the actual words of Christ (or attributed to him) are wayyy different than the stuff fundies quote from Leviticus, et al. To quote King Missle, “Jesus was way cool” – if you take him for what he is in the gospels.

5 Likes

He could have scored more goals than Wayne Gretzky.

7 Likes

He walked on the water and swam on the land.

3 Likes

And actually the vitamin C is in the skin, which is a thick, edible layer on a whale, ideally eaten raw.

4 Likes

He’s still sexist in the gospels.

He still doesn’t apparently have any issues with, for instance, rape or slavery either.

He may have been “way cool”, but I still think I’m probably a more moral person than he was.

8 Likes

No wonder there are so many Christians.

1 Like

Calvin and Muad’dib

3 Likes

I never saw that for sale at the farmer’s market.

The local supermarket sold orange juice, which was the exotic substance we used to ward off scurvy.

2 Likes

You could try to frame his support of Peterson’s views in some context involving you or other people you both know personally and care about. That’s a pretty good litmus test for being in the category of “friends” for me. If his gripes seem self-centered and childish, your gut is probably telling you something your brain maybe doesn’t want to hear.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS EXISTED.

Its crap like this that makes me wish I could make it more than 117 pages into Dune.

Weirdly enough raw venison has one of the highest levels of available vitamin C. And a rare to mid rare beef steak provides well more vitamin c than fresh citrus juice does.

We just tend to associate citrus juice with vitamin c, because in that whole stored/fresh food thing. Before we actually knew how it all worked. Fresh citrus was a really good portable way to keep enough vitamin C around. I mean when your beef and pork comes out of a barrel of salt, but the lemons you brought with you stay OK for months and months. It’s the lemons that keep scurvy at bay. Not the beef.

4 Likes

I’ve heard this, mainly from paleo types. I don’t believe it. Perhaps some organs (liver or spleen) accumulate some vitamin C. A cup of OJ has around 100mg of vitamin C, more if it is fresh. If you can find a definitive source saying that a nondisgusting amount of venison or beefsteak has more than that, I’d like to see it.

1 Like

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4812/0

Says here game meat has nothing in the way of vitamin c

8 Likes

Muktuk (raw whale skin) never did take off in Europe for some reason…

4 Likes